Headphone Upgrade? (Audio Technica ATH-A700)
Aug 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

deadman_uk

Head-Fier
I own a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones which I've had for around 5 years. I use them mainly on my PC for gaming and listening to music/movies. Overall I find them comfortable and the sound quality is very satisifying. They are plugged into a set of Razer Mako 2.1 speakers which are plugged into a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Sound Card. I've never used an amp and not really sure I need one for my current headphones or a new pair.

The leather padding has fallen to bits again (I had them repadded once) but it's no big deal to me. I would like to get them repadded again in the future though but I am starting to think I would like to upgrade to a new pair. The ATH-A700 cost me around £90 but I have no problem spending much more than that if it's really worth it. The A700 are closed over the ear headphones and the upgrade should be over the ear but not necessarily closed (although I do think some noise cancellation is a bonus but not essential). I really would like headphones that blow away my current ones. Any recommendations? I have my eyes on the Sennheiser HD650.

Would my sound card limit the potential in any way of a better pair of headphones or is it suitable enough?

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 13
Hopefully you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Titanium-HD

The Titanium-HD makes a very fairly good DAC.
To get a DAC that makes a noticeable improvement might cost you a fair bit more then you what might think.

The Titanium-HD's headphone jack will decently drive the 300-Ohm HD650 headphones.
Not sure if the Razor 2.1's headphone jack can drive 300-Ohm HD650 headphones.

My suggestion is to get an external headphone amplifier, that comes with a separate line-output.
Plug the head amp into the Titanium-HD's RCA (line-output) jacks.
Plug the HD650 into the external head amps headphone jack.
Plug the Razor 2.1 into the head amp's line-output.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for your reply PurpleAngel,

Yes, I have disabled the on-board audio in the UEFI. I think I will use the DAC on my sound card and focus my money on an amp and headphones. Just to state clearly, I don't actually own HD650 headphones, I own ATH-A700's and the beef of my post is to ask for suggestions on a set of headphones that are noticeably better in sound quality than my current ones. I mentioned the HD650 because they seem to be highly praised. So my questions are:

1) Are you recommending I purchase the HD650? How do the HD650 compare with my current headphones and your Beyer T90?
2) What headphone amplifer would you recommend?
3) I currently plug my headphones into the speaker port of my Razer Mako 2.1 control pod. Are there any audio benefits from plugging a set of headphones directly into the sound card itself? I notice that I can get a much more volume from the headphones directly into the sound card.

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 13
  Thanks for your reply PurpleAngel,

Yes, I have disabled the on-board audio in the UEFI. I think I will use the DAC on my sound card and focus my money on an amp and headphones. Just to state clearly, I don't actually own HD650 headphones, I own ATH-A700's and the beef of my post is to ask for suggestions on a set of headphones that are noticeably better in sound quality than my current ones. I mentioned the HD650 because they seem to be highly praised. So my questions are:

1) Are you recommending I purchase the HD650? How do the HD650 compare with my current headphones and your Beyer T90?
2) What headphone amplifier would you recommend?
3) I currently plug my headphones into the speaker port of my Razer Mako 2.1 control pod. Are there any audio benefits from plugging a set of headphones directly into the sound card itself? I notice that I can get a much more volume from the headphones directly into the sound card.

As you said you had your "eyes on the Sennheiser HD650", assumed it's what you planned on buying.
I'm sure you would like the sound of the HD650, but I've never listened to it myself.

I do like the sound of the Beyer T90, it's my preferred headphone for all audio.

Depending on what headphones you finally pick, might effect what headphone amplifier to recommend.
If you picked a headphone with a low impedance (Ohm) rating, then a solid state (or at least hybrid) amp would be recommended.
If you picked a higher impedance (like 300-Ohm) headphone, then a tube amplifier (or hybrid) would be a choice to look into.

If you listed a budget for your audio upgrade, it might help to focus on what amp and headphone to recommend.

I'm guessing an Audio Technica ATH-AD900X ($150) would be an improvement, over the A700.
Used HD650 start around $300.

A Bravo Ocean ($120) or Schiit Magni 2 Uber ($150) would be some lower priced amplifiers.

For the HD650, some might recommend a Bottlehead Crack amplifier ($400+), for driving the HD650.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 13
After spending most of the day reading reviews on various headphones, I still like what I am hearing about the HD 650, however, the Audio Technica ATH-R70x I think has won me over and I believe they are better than the AD900X that you mentioned. The ATH-R70x are 470ohm and I have read reviews of people using E12 amps with them. The cayin C5 is another amp that I read people are using but it is borderline warm and apparently the ATH-R70x doesn't work well with warm amps. Any thoughts on the ATH-R70x? I will look into the other things you mentioned but I am in the UK so I am not sure how easy it is to obtain certain equipment.

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 13
  After spending most of the day reading reviews on various headphones, I still like what I am hearing about the HD 650, however, the Audio Technica ATH-R70x I think has won me over and I believe they are better than the AD900X that you mentioned. The ATH-R70x are 470ohm and I have read reviews of people using E12 amps with them. The cayin C5 is another amp that I read people are using but it is borderline warm and apparently the ATH-R70x doesn't work well with warm amps. Any thoughts on the ATH-R70x? I will look into the other things you mentioned but I am in the UK so I am not sure how easy it is to obtain certain equipment.

I like all the Audio Technica headphones I own (about 5?).
But know nothing about the ATH-R70X.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

Aug 16, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #7 of 13
I really do like my Audio Technica ATH-A700 but I know these are budget headphones and not really well praised (although it's said they are really good for gaming which I can confirm!). I have no problem going with Audio Technica again and the R70x are generally high praised and affordable to me. I just need a reasonably priced amp that works well with the R70x and I am good to go. I know nothing about amps but the E12 looks like a good choice from what I read. If I understand correctly, I plug the amp into my sound card and then both my headphones and Razer Mako speakers into the amp? Would the E12 allow this? Any advice on a suitable amp would be appreciated.

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Can't see any good reason for plugging the Razor into the E12's headphone jack.

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 13
  Can't see any good reason for plugging the Razor into the E12's headphone jack.

The headphones would go into the headphone jack but where would the Razer Mako speakers plug in to? How would I have my headphones and speakers plugged into my sound card at the same time while amping the headphones? Sorry, I am a newbie with all this :frowning2:

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 13

The headphones would go into the headphone jack but where would the Razer Mako speakers plug in to? How would I have my headphones and speakers plugged into my sound card at the same time while amping the headphones? Sorry, I am a newbie with all this :frowning2:

The Titanium-HD has the RCA line-outputs and a separate headphone jack.

Before I had recommended you get a headphone amplifier with a separate line-output (which the E12 does not have).
Should be able to find a used Bravo Ocean hybrid headphone amplifier, for a decent price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162165711740?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for your reply and eBay link but I live in the UK and I'd rather buy new audio equipment rather than used. So from another thread I am participating in, I am thinking of getting an Audio-Technica ATH-R70x with a Magni 2 Uber amp. This should allow me to use both my headphones and speakers without swapping cables. My Titanium HD would do everything else regarding DAC which I hear it does fairly well. Is this correct? Apparently the R70x doesn't like warm amps so I am hoping the Magni 2 Uber would be OK. What do you think of this plan? 

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 13
  Thanks for your reply and eBay link but I live in the UK and I'd rather buy new audio equipment rather than used. So from another thread I am participating in, I am thinking of getting an Audio-Technica ATH-R70x with a Magni 2 Uber amp. This should allow me to use both my headphones and speakers without swapping cables. My Titanium HD would do everything else regarding DAC which I hear it does fairly well. Is this correct? Apparently the R70x doesn't like warm amps so I am hoping the Magni 2 Uber would be OK. What do you think of this plan? 

I would consider buying the Magni 2 Uber, if I was in your situation.

Just have no idea on the "warm" amp with the ATH-R70X, not something that I'm well informed about.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 13
  I would consider buying the Magni 2 Uber, if I was in your situation.

Just have no idea on the "warm" amp with the ATH-R70X, not something that I'm well informed about.

That's my plan but I heard it cause could trouble with the Razer Mako control pod. Something about both the amp and the control pod controlling the volume. Anyway that's my plan, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back