Headphone upgrade advice needed...
Apr 30, 2018 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rictus07

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am looking to upgrade my headphones and wish to seek the advice of the Head_Fi community.
My current headphone pads have been decimated through frequent use and where I live, it costs close to a $100 to replace them.
So, I thought of taking the opportunity to upgrade instead. Appreciate your help as where I live, there is little to no brick and mortar stores where I can audition headphones I am interested in.

Here are some information on what I am looking for:

Type: Closed, over-ear / iem
Currently owned: Shure SE215 SPE, Sony MDR-1A, MDR-1000X, Westone UM Pro 10
Previously owned: NAD HP Viso 50, Simgot EN700 Pro
Music genres: Rock, Pop, Blues
Source gear: Sony NW-A35 with Topping NX-1
Budget: Below $500

I am very into the type of sound that comes from the NADs but their comfort is a nightmare.
The comfort of the MDR-1A are to die for. Unfortunately, the pads have gone to pieces. XD
Also, I am not into any ChiFi as the Simgots broke within a week of use and I have swore off ChiFi ever since.
I have considered the Shure SRH1540 but am not sure about its portability due to its size.
I am using my headphones on my commute to and fro work on public transportation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 4
I would recommend taking a look at the V-Moda M100 they sound great and sell for around $250. Also take a look at the Oppo PM-3, they are also closed back headphones but planar magnetic and retail for around $400. If you want a really great IEM and don't mind spending another $100, you can find a new pair of Sennheiser IE800's for around your budget and they are arguably (according to many) one of the best IEM's out there.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 4
You might take a look at the Meze 99 Classics. I find them comfortable even though they are almost on ears with the small and shallow cups but can wear them for several hours. I also liked the Nad’s when I bought them over three years ago but they had no adjustment that would make them fit me properly so they went back after about a week of two of trying. You might think twice about the Oppo PM-3’s other than being a boring headphone to me the company is stopping making the PM line . The V-Modi M100is a very fun headphone but to some can get uncomfortable after a time and think most of them are probably right but I only listened for about 15minutes or so .

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 4
You might take a look at the Meze 99 Classics. I find them comfortable even though they are almost on ears with the small and shallow cups but can wear them for several hours. I also liked the Nad’s when I bought them over three years ago but they had no adjustment that would make them fit me properly so they went back after about a week of two of trying. You might think twice about the Oppo PM-3’s other than being a boring headphone to me the company is stopping making the PM line . The V-Modi M100is a very fun headphone but to some can get uncomfortable after a time and think most of them are probably right but I only listened for about 15minutes or so .
You are right about the V-moda's they can get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours, this is why i recommend buying the extra large pads that V-moda themselves sell. Bought mine for $20 and it became a new headphones to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back