Headphone under 500$ CAD
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

BackBoneCrusher

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I looking for a new pair of headphones under 500$ Canadian but I don't know which headphone I should take.

I'm searching something that is (very) comfortable, detailed with good bass and mids (more than my IEMs) and really good imaging and/or soundstage

What i'm listening to very multiples genres, like retrowave and synthwave or some alternative rock, metal etc. sometimes a bit of old school hip-hop

Thank you !

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 30
If you are considering Sennheiser, look at its pricing in Canada, Europe and the U.S.

European prices are inclusive of about 20% VAT, none of which is credited in Canada and the U.S. In other words, Sennheiser effectively charges Canadians and Americans 20% more than Europeans for its headphones, a number that certainly can’t be justified by shipping costs. Also, Sennheiser is pricing in such a way that, for currency exchange reasons, the net result is that Sennheiser headphones are significantly cheaper in Canada, ex tax, than in the U.S.

Just something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 30
Hello guys,

I looking for a new pair of headphones under 500$ Canadian but I don't know which headphone I should take.

I'm searching something that is (very) comfortable, detailed with good bass and mids (more than my IEMs) and really good imaging and/or soundstage

What i'm listening to very multiples genres, like retrowave and synthwave or some alternative rock, metal etc. sometimes a bit of old school hip-hop

Thank you !

In April, Bang & Olufsen discontinued all of its wired headphones. Maybe be on the lookout for a discounted pair of the H6. Here’s metal571’s review:

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 30
Hi BackBoneCrusher,

I suggest looking into the Sony 1000 XM2, should be suitable for your requirements & price.

Hope you have a great day !

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 30
Hi BackBoneCrusher,

I suggest looking into the Sony 1000 XM2, should be suitable for your requirements & price.

Hope you have a great day !

Oh, I would have prefered some, you know, "normal" headphones, not bluetooth with noise-cancelation. Does it have a good soundstage/imaging etc. ?

I don't need something portable, I'll use it indoor on my desk (with a DAC/AMP) for gaming and music

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 30
If you are considering Sennheiser, look at its pricing in Canada, Europe and the U.S.

European prices are inclusive of about 20% VAT, none of which is credited in Canada and the U.S. In other words, Sennheiser effectively charges Canadians and Americans 20% more than Europeans for its headphones, a number that certainly can’t be justified by shipping costs. Also, Sennheiser is pricing in such a way that, for currency exchange reasons, the net result is that Sennheiser headphones are significantly cheaper in Canada, ex tax, than in the U.S.

Just something to be aware of.

Which Sennheiser do you recommend then ? I can buy via Massdrop without any issues

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 30
For $500 you could probably find a pair of HE-500’s but would need a amp to drive them.

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 30
Then look at the HE-500’s as they are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back