Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Jun 13, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,461 of 2,843
Yeah, th TM are so good I may follow @Somatic and sell my 0 hour backup pair of ER and perhap the MO as well.
There is no denying the ER are great, the MO are better and the TM are the best. YMMV
Actually it seems more like the TM are better than the ER but the MO are a completely different flavor.

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,462 of 2,843
Solid trade. Sound totally different. WE300b less extended on the low end but wider soundstage. WE300b has more emphasis in the midrange.
if ER are different than we300b can we assumed that the MO are closer to we300b ?

I have only ER and we300b (Forte IV), but to be honest I preffer we300b, ER are better for modern music (pop, electronic etc) where more bass is needed, we300b are much nicer for everything else (jazz, blues etc)

Jun 13, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #2,464 of 2,843
Actually it seems more like the TM are better than the ER but the MO are a completely different flavor.
MO is much better than the ER but departs from the ER sound. More linear. Less emphasis on midrange, mid bass. Very extended and treble is a bit brighter sounding in my setup.

TM and MO can be complimentary but MO is missing that extra transparency.

I personally am sensitive to brighter sounding gear. I do think the TMs ideally could have slightly more edge and treble extension. It’s not 100% perfect but it’s 98% there.

Jun 13, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #2,465 of 2,843
if ER are different than we300b can we assumed that the MO are closer to we300b ?

I have only ER and we300b (Forte IV), but to be honest I preffer we300b, ER are better for modern music (pop, electronic etc) where more bass is needed, we300b are much nicer for everything else (jazz, blues etc)
I'll have the MO at the end of the week, comparing to the WE which are my current favorites. Certainly from descriptions seems like they'll be very different.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #2,466 of 2,843
I'll have the MO at the end of the week, comparing to the WE which are my current favorites. Certainly from descriptions seems like they're be very different.
Just got my MOs yesterday (similarly sold ERs a few weeks back) to complement my WEs. Very different indeed. I definitely prefer the MOs over the ERs (even more bass and treble extension) and agree they are perfect for modern genres. The WEs with those mids still reign supreme for Jazz and blues as others have said. I can see how the MOs could be bright but in my setup the rectifier (5R4GY) and driver combo seem to mellow everything out just a bit so treble is all good.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,467 of 2,843
Just got my MOs yesterday (similarly sold ERs a few weeks back) to complement my WEs. Very different indeed. I definitely prefer the MOs over the ERs (even more bass and treble extension) and agree they are perfect for modern genres. The WEs with those mids still reign supreme for Jazz and blues as others have said.
Those 2 are very complimentary. Totally different.

Jun 14, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #2,468 of 2,843
Jun 14, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #2,469 of 2,843
Jun 16, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #2,470 of 2,843
Just got my MOs yesterday (similarly sold ERs a few weeks back) to complement my WEs. Very different indeed. I definitely prefer the MOs over the ERs (even more bass and treble extension) and agree they are perfect for modern genres. The WEs with those mids still reign supreme for Jazz and blues as others have said. I can see how the MOs could be bright but in my setup the rectifier (5R4GY) and driver combo seem to mellow everything out just a bit so treble is all good.

Hmm... Tempted to add a pair of Elrog 300B to the BA myself but I still can't decide between the ER and Mo. The problem is the EC does not have a warm tonality so I kinda fear that the Mo will make things too dry.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #2,471 of 2,843
Hmm... Tempted to add a pair of Elrog 300B to the BA myself but I still can't decide between the ER and Mo. The problem is the EC does not have a warm tonality so I kinda fear that the Mo will make things too dry.
Try rolling in a rectifier with a large V drop (e.g. 5R4GY). It will shift the Studio B (and I assume the BA as well) to a bit less dry tone and add a bit more warmth. The MOs in that combination are very satisfying. It isn’t going to reach Felix Envy tubey wetness and warmth but then again I found the Felix a bit too “thick” sonically (like a hot and humid summer day in New Orleans) so the EC is perfect for my tastes.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #2,472 of 2,843
While I do agree that the sound of EC is rather dry sounding, I find it has a somewhat warm sound. Perhaps it's the way we define tonality and wet/dry sound but I don't necessary agree that a warm tonality will even out the dry sound.

My understanding with tonality has more to do with frequency emphasis (bass/midbass focus result in a warmer tone, emphasis in treble makes for a brighter tone) where wet/dry sound has more to do with reverb/bloom/richness etc. Most tube amp I've heard have a warm tonality with plenty of reverb and tube bloom resulting in a thick and lush sound. EC amp is an oddity in the sense that it is a somewhat warm sound(more emphasis on lower frequency) but a very dry sound (little tube bloom, almost sterile, akin to a solid state amp) at least to my ears.

Definitely interesting to hear how an expensive triode sounds on an amp like EC as oppose to a ha300/envy.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,473 of 2,843
While I do agree that the sound of EC is rather dry sounding, I find it has a somewhat warm sound. Perhaps it's the way we define tonality and wet/dry sound but I don't necessary agree that a warm tonality will even out the dry sound.

My understanding with tonality has more to do with frequency emphasis (bass/midbass focus result in a warmer tone, emphasis in treble makes for a brighter tone) where wet/dry sound has more to do with reverb/bloom/richness etc. Most tube amp I've heard have a warm tonality with plenty of reverb and tube bloom resulting in a thick and lush sound. EC amp is an oddity in the sense that it is a somewhat warm sound(more emphasis on lower frequency) but a very dry sound (little tube bloom, almost sterile, akin to a solid state amp) at least to my ears.

Definitely interesting to hear how an expensive triode sounds on an amp like EC as oppose to a ha300/envy.

If so ER300B seems to be a safer bet so far since we want to add slight wetness but still playing the strengths of the EC amp.

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,474 of 2,843
If so ER300B seems to be a safer bet so far since we want to add slight wetness but still playing the strengths of the EC amp.
I've owned both the ER and now the MOs. Neither is going to get to "slight wetness" in my experience on the EC unless you start rolling rectifier as I mentioned above.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #2,475 of 2,843
I've owned both the ER and now the MOs. Neither is going to get to "slight wetness" in my experience on the EC unless you start rolling rectifier as I mentioned above.

How would you compare them anyway since you're probably the only person who tried both Elrog on an EC amp here? :sweat_smile:

I have some GEC rectifiers coming in from the UK, let's see if they help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back