Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
May 4, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #2,341 of 2,858
May 4, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #2,342 of 2,858
Yes, D3a is getting pricey. I recently bought thirty of them for a steal, using them in a phono stage, gotta keep an eye out for those deals. Both 6E5P and 6E6P are great tubes, they are equivalent with different pinouts. I use 6E6P in one of my DACs. A simple AC filament is fine, just make sure it is properly ground referenced, either through an existing center tap on the transformer or an artificial center tap made up of a pair of 100ohm resistors. Without the center tap, you will get noise.

There are several benefits to using the regulator, as long as it fits the design. The main advantage of a choke in a parafeed design is it allows the peak AC signal to swing above the B+ voltage due to the inductance stored in the choke. For instance, if you had a parafeed 300B amp with 400V bias voltage on the plate, the positive swing of the AC output could swing to 700V no problem with say 425V B+ above the choke (these are random made up numbers).

You can't do that with the current regulator, the B+ voltage needs to cover both the operating voltage AND the peak AC swing. So in that same 300B design, the B+ above the regulator would need to exceed 700V. This also means the regulator will get very hot as it needs to drop 300V across it to achieve the 400V bias voltage on the plate.

But in the spud design, it works great because it is a low power design with relatively small peak output swing, so 250V B+ on top of the regulator with around a 170V plate voltage really doesn't dissipate much heat and covers the peak AC swing easily. The advantage of the regulator over the choke is it provides a much higher AC load to the output tube and has much better power supply rejection compared to the choke. With the current regulator, you can get away with very little filtering in the B+ supply since any residual ripple will be inaudible across the high PSRR of the regulator. It's also smaller and cheaper and less prone to picking up noise.
Great, thanks. I'll reach out if/when I have any questions.

May 4, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #2,343 of 2,858
May 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,344 of 2,858
@paradoxper I think tried a set of these...
Hey

I've just bought an Arya 2 . You happen to have heard it on WA5? Any good. I have the Ragnarok 2 also just wondering what would be better. I suppose I'll find out soon enough

May 4, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2,345 of 2,858
Hey

I've just bought an Arya 2 . You happen to have heard it on WA5? Any good. I have the Ragnarok 2 also just wondering what would be better. I suppose I'll find out soon enough
I don’t have any experience with either. Looking forward to your opinions!

May 4, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,346 of 2,858
Did anyone here try E.A.T 300Bs and can compare them to the good stuff like Elrog, WE300B and Taks?

https://www.technologyfactory.eu/en/eat/tubes/eat-tube-300b-matched-pair/a-3705-10000258
They're very similar to the EML. I stick to my opinion of Elrog relegating the other 300B sounding broken.

WE300B are good as they're bloomy and bombastic with a very spacious stage. An obvious coloration too far with some enjoyable characteristics.

The AN 4300E is the alternative to pursue that covers a great middle ground.

May 5, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #2,347 of 2,858
Can anyone here confirm that the jj 300b is a good tube? Just read a review where the guy is comparing it to the KR VV302 and KR 300 BXLS and he prefers it.

I hadn't considered it before because it was so cheap but maybe I'm missing something? I would buy it as a back up if it was near the performance of the EML mesh. I might get lucky and it could be better.

Anyone heard it ?

I am going to order a pair later this month to try. I've liked all other JJ tubes I've had.

Their e88cc is my #1 driver tube for the CK300 and I prefer it over nos tubes I've tried. It's particulary strong on bass extension and subbass.

Their GZ34S is also in my top two rectifier tubes for it along with the metal base Philips Miniwatt GZ34. The Philips has slightly more bass but has very liquid mids and sometimes I prefer the JJ which has more crispness there. I'd also say the JJ is also the second bassiest rectifier I tried, more so than the later production plastic base Philips Miniwatt GZ34. The JJ 6SL7 is also in my top two of those. So I'm expecting the 300B could be good too.

May 5, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #2,348 of 2,858
I am going to order a pair later this month to try. I've liked all other JJ tubes I've had.

Their e88cc is my #1 driver tube for the CK300 and I prefer it over nos tubes I've tried. It's particulary strong on bass extension and subbass.

Their GZ34S is also in my top two rectifier tubes for it along with the metal base Philips Miniwatt GZ34. The Philips has slightly more bass but has very liquid mids and sometimes I prefer the JJ which has more crispness there. I'd also say the JJ is also the second bassiest rectifier I tried, more so than the later production plastic base Philips Miniwatt GZ34. The JJ 6SL7 is also in my top two of those. So I'm expecting the 300B could be good too.
Even if not, JJs are about the most affordable tubes currently on the market.

May 5, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,349 of 2,858
the JJ is also the second bassiest rectifier
Mine just came in and I like it alot. 👌
It seems the cheap stuff on my 300B amp sounds great 👍
I recommend the JJ's almost all their products been great.
20230505_102349.jpg

Don't look at the pooh bear 😀

May 5, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,350 of 2,858

Great stuff. Maybe I'll buy one. Can the gz34 be used in the wa5 as a rectifier for 5u4g. I wonder is it compatible

May 5, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,351 of 2,858
Great stuff. Maybe I'll buy one. Can the gz34 be used in the wa5 as a rectifier for 5u4g. I wonder is it compatible
Yes, the GZ34 is compatible. I can't speak to the JJ tubes, as I don't own any.

May 5, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,352 of 2,858
Yes, the GZ34 is compatible. I can't speak to the JJ tubes, as I don't own any.
If you were trying to sculp a tone with the wa5 for planar headphone what tube would you recommend? I will have the Arya early next week but I also have the LCD xc.

May 5, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #2,353 of 2,858
If you were trying to sculp a tone with the wa5 for planar headphone what tube would you recommend? I will have the Arya early next week but I also have the LCD xc.
Well, I would start with strong, fast rectifiers. My beloved Elrog 5U4G's are currently what I'm running. I like the KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions, but they're hard to find these days. The GZ34's might run out of oomph, but worth a shot if they're cheap enough. I ran a Tung Sol in my Woo WA6-SE before I sold it. Another good inexpensive contender would be the Brimar 5Z4GY - otherwise known as "Chernobyl" because of how hot they run.

For 300Bs, there's no question in my mind - Elrog 300B-Mo, without hesitation. The speed, clarity, heft, weight, extension on both ends make it the (IMO) perfect tube, especially for a planar.

As for the drivers, that's where you can do some coloring of the sound. The best overall clarity is going to come from a pair of Melz 1578 (ONLY the 1578, not the 6H8C), or some Tung Sol or Sylvania VT-99/6F8G (with Woo adapters). There are a lot of other ways to go, but this is going to be where you fine-tune the tubey goodness of the Woo WA5!

May 5, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #2,354 of 2,858
Well, I would start with strong, fast rectifiers. My beloved Elrog 5U4G's are currently what I'm running. I like the KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions, but they're hard to find these days. The GZ34's might run out of oomph, but worth a shot if they're cheap enough. I ran a Tung Sol in my Woo WA6-SE before I sold it. Another good inexpensive contender would be the Brimar 5Z4GY - otherwise known as "Chernobyl" because of how hot they run.

For 300Bs, there's no question in my mind - Elrog 300B-Mo, without hesitation. The speed, clarity, heft, weight, extension on both ends make it the (IMO) perfect tube, especially for a planar.

As for the drivers, that's where you can do some coloring of the sound. The best overall clarity is going to come from a pair of Melz 1578 (ONLY the 1578, not the 6H8C), or some Tung Sol or Sylvania VT-99/6F8G (with Woo adapters). There are a lot of other ways to go, but this is going to be where you fine-tune the tubey goodness of the Woo WA5!
Ah deadly I own the 6f8g and the brimmars already. So I'll just find a 300b to match ... Maybe the avvt will be ok. The Elrog mo is a bit out of my price range at the moment

May 5, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #2,355 of 2,858
It seems the cheap stuff on my 300B amp sounds great 👍
And that's the sign of a good piece of gear. It should sound great with the cheapest tubes (as long as the tubes are still in good condition).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back