Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Oct 13, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,426 of 2,854
Thanks for the advice, The Linlai was actually just what my friend recommended as a promising 'in-between'. Glad someone else in the forums feels the same.
Seeing your location, this friend you are referring to might be a mutual friend. From what I’ve gathered, the Elite 2A3 (by extension the 300B too) can be a hit or a miss, depending on the amp. On a wrong amp, apparently these sound both bloomy and bright. The WE300B clone on the other hand might be a safer choice. I own WE variants of the 300B and the 2A3 from Linlai and I don’t have any personal experience with the Elite series yet. But some of my friends love the 2A3s and 300Bs from Linlai Elite and Psvane Acme. Although Elite and Acme 300B is approaching Elrog prices, at which point, it makes sense to go with Elrog IMO.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #1,427 of 2,854
I think Western Electric might be our best hope for a new 6SN7 (or variant). Have you been in touch with them yet?
Yes, WE has had beta 6SN7 running for a year with production slated for early 2023. I think realistically, with current supply operation, we should expect a much later 2023 time frame.

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #1,429 of 2,854
I am curious which 300B tube model is the most tubey, saturated, or euphonic sounding with the longest decay?
On what amp?

Oct 13, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,430 of 2,854
I am curious which 300B tube model is the most tubey, saturated, or euphonic sounding with the longest decay?
Generally Sophia and WE. I'd have an inkling the TJ mesh may be just what you are looking for. Most mesh is what you'd want.

If you aren't tied to 300B, the Perryman 45 is entirely spectacular and a cut above especially regarding a softer touch.

Oct 13, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,432 of 2,854
Tubes are very subjective and sound/performance can vary from amp to amp. There's a reason most of us tube roll - to find the best combination with our amps, gear, and ears. It also depends on what you consider the "tube tone" you're looking for...warmth, liquidity, softness, etc. Can you describe what it is you're looking for?

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #1,434 of 2,854
Seeing your location, this friend you are referring to might be a mutual friend. From what I’ve gathered, the Elite 2A3 (by extension the 300B too) can be a hit or a miss, depending on the amp. On a wrong amp, apparently these sound both bloomy and bright. The WE300B clone on the other hand might be a safer choice. I own WE variants of the 300B and the 2A3 from Linlai and I don’t have any personal experience with the Elite series yet. But some of my friends love the 2A3s and 300Bs from Linlai Elite and Psvane Acme. Although Elite and Acme 300B is approaching Elrog prices, at which point, it makes sense to go with Elrog IMO.

If that friend is from Indonesia, then that likelihood is true. He is looking around for his endgame tube amp at the moment.

Seeing that the elrogs are around $1400, it may just make sense to just go for that and upgrade once. That being said the re-issue original WE300B is still viable if you are going for a more 'retro' - a more classical tube sound, whereas the Elrogs seem to win in technicalities, dynamics etc.

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,435 of 2,854
@ColSaulTigh
Wonder if you have any experience or thoughts on other 6F8G brands besides Tung Sol that you’ve mentioned? Sylvania, KenRad, RCA …? They are significantly less $$… I assume there’s good reason
I have Tung Sol, RCA, Sylvania, and National Union 6F8G's. All are good, but there are varying characteristics. The National Unions are the brightest and crispy sounding, the RCA's are more warm and flat. The Sylvania's are a brighter sounding RCA while still keeping a little lushness. But the Tung Sol's represent (IMO) the 6F8G sound - wet, slick, rich, with just the right amount of crispness to not be overly harsh. I have not tried the Ken Rad's yet, so can't give an opinion on those or any of the others out there. Yet.

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #1,436 of 2,854
If that friend is from Indonesia, then that likelihood is true. He is looking around for his endgame tube amp at the moment.

Seeing that the elrogs are around $1400, it may just make sense to just go for that and upgrade once. That being said the re-issue original WE300B is still viable if you are going for a more 'retro' - a more classical tube sound, whereas the Elrogs seem to win in technicalities, dynamics etc.
I have to react to this. I should be very careful with the statement a more retro and classical tube sound when you describe the Western Electric 300B. Of course, the Western Electric is the classic 300B tube, no doubt about that. But I think the classic tube sound you refer to is much more related to the tube circuit, the transformer quality and the components being used in the amplifier than to the tube itself.

I say this because I think you have to watch out to describe the Western Electric 300B as a warm and romantic tube. In my Border Patrol 300B SE it is not. In my amplifier the WE 300B lacks deep bass and as such it sounds a bit more aggressive for lack of a better word than the Elrog 300B. The WE 300B is fluent and has a pleasant sound, but when played louder the lack of deep bass and the fact that it can’t keep up during busy musical passages makes it sound more tiresome and less pleasant than the Elrog 300B.

That came as complete surprise to me as well. The idea that the WE300B is romantic and the modern 300Bs like EML and Elrog are more technical and dynamic (I translated that as more solid state) have kept me from buying the Elrog tubes for a long time. What a big big mistake. As I have said earlier, the Elrog 300B has more resolution and that equals more natural tone. That makes this tube much easier to listen to than the lightweight WE300B. Again in my amplifier.

But my main point is, when upgrading tubes, listen to your amplifier and try to understand what it lacks, or what can be improved upon in your system. What are you looking for. Based on that you decide what tube to buy. I would be careful with attributing the sound of a tube based on comments of people who have used it in a different amplifier and system than yours. In such a case only comparisons between tubes can help you a little bit. All in my opinion of course.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #1,437 of 2,854
I have to react to this. I should be very careful with the statement a more retro and classical tube sound when you describe the Western Electric 300B. Of course, the Western Electric is the classic 300B tube, no doubt about that. But I think the classic tube sound you refer to is much more related to the tube circuit, the transformer quality and the components being used in the amplifier than to the tube itself.

I say this because I think you have to watch out to describe the Western Electric 300B as a warm and romantic tube. In my Border Patrol 300B SE it is not. In my amplifier the WE 300B lacks deep bass and as such it sounds a bit more aggressive for lack of a better word than the Elrog 300B. The WE 300B is fluent and has a pleasant sound, but when played louder the lack of deep bass and the fact that it can’t keep up during busy musical passages makes it sound more tiresome and less pleasant than the Elrog 300B.

That came as complete surprise to me as well. The idea that the WE300B is romantic and the modern 300Bs like EML and Elrog are more technical and dynamic (I translated that as more solid state) have kept me from buying the Elrog tubes for a long time. What a big big mistake. As I have said earlier, the Elrog 300B has more resolution and that equals more natural tone. That makes this tube much easier to listen to than the lightweight WE300B. Again in my amplifier.

But my main point is, when upgrading tubes, listen to your amplifier and try to understand what it lacks, or what can be improved upon in your system. What are you looking for. Based on that you decide what tube to buy. I would be careful with attributing the sound of a tube based on comments of people who have used it in a different amplifier and system than yours. In such a case only comparisons between tubes can help you a little bit. All in my opinion of course.

Its hard to sound demo tubes, so you can only make selections based on feedback on the forums and hope for the best. Seeing that my amp is a custom amp that is of a new design, its hard to get impressions from fellow owners, as there only a few of us with the same amp.

I understand that the 300b tubes in question may not sound the same when used with one amp over the other, like your example with your border patrol 300b.

The amp I have has two power supply option. When I use the tube rectifier I would get the more 'retro' sound I described - slow, romantic, lush etc. When I switch to SS PSU, it sounds more like a modern SET amp. I may choose to get 300b tubes to get more of that 'retro' experience, but I am not sure what I am looking for at the moment.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #1,438 of 2,854
Its hard to sound demo tubes, so you can only make selections based on feedback on the forums and hope for the best. Seeing that my amp is a custom amp that is of a new design, its hard to get impressions from fellow owners, as there only a few of us with the same amp.

I understand that the 300b tubes in question may not sound the same when used with one amp over the other, like your example with your border patrol 300b.

The amp I have has two power supply option. When I use the tube rectifier I would get the more 'retro' sound I described - slow, romantic, lush etc. When I switch to SS PSU, it sounds more like a modern SET amp. I may choose to get 300b tubes to get more of that 'retro' experience, but I am not sure what I am looking for at the moment.
When I use the tube rectifier I would get the more 'retro' sound I described - slow, romantic, lush etc. When I switch to SS PSU, it sounds more like a modern SET amp. Maybe in your case it works that way. But you can create a slow, romantic lush sound with SS rectification, and a 'modern'sound whatever that is, with tube rectification. It depends on the circuit design, the tubes used, transformer quality etc. of the amplifier

My advise with regard to tubes would be, base your try outs on people who decribe tubes not as good or bad, but on a clear (detailed) decription of how they sound, especially compared to other tubes they have tried. Then, there is only one way, try yourself, experiment. That is part of the fun of buying a tube amplifier in the first place. You can play with it. Tailor the sound to your liking. Have fun!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,439 of 2,854
I am very sorry but I do not agree with the generalization: When I use the tube rectifier I would get the more 'retro' sound I described - slow, romantic, lush etc. When I switch to SS PSU, it sounds more like a modern SET amp. It is not that simple. You can create a slow, romantic lush sound with SS rectification, and a 'modern'sound whatever that is, with tube rectification. Maybe in your case it works that way.

My advise would be, base your try outs on people who decribe tubes not as good or bad, but on a clear (detailed) decription of how they sound, especially compared to other tubes they have tried. Then, there is only one way, try yourself, experiment. That is part of the fun of buying a tube amplifier in the first place. You can play with it. Tailor the sound to your liking. Have fun!

I am just describing what I hear on my amp specifically, as it does have two, separate, indepenent power supplies and allows me to experiment.

I am not trying to make a generalization that what I experienced in my amp referring to the power supplies applies to all amps because that would be inaccurate.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #1,440 of 2,854
I am just describing what I hear on my amp specifically, as it does have two, separate, indepenent power supplies and allows me to experiment.

I am not trying to make a generalization that what I experienced in my amp referring to the power supplies applies to all amps because that would be inaccurate.
Yes my fault. That is why I have edited my response immediately. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back