Headphone Tube Amps - The hunt for all 300B TUBE AMPS
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #46 of 2,858
@protoss do a list of 300B preamps for me please.
Thats a lot of research.... Next someone might ask to make a speaker tube amp list.
Maybe I place the letter [P] as an indication as a preamplifier to the existing list.
Ill think about it...

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #47 of 2,858
With both, definitely, it's just one of the amp's strongest features is the gargantuan and holographic soundstage, something that headphones struggle with compared to speakers. Regardless, the Manley is a reference performer regardless of what you're listening to.
I'd love to own a Manley.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #48 of 2,858
Thats a lot of research.... Next someone might ask to make a speaker tube amp list.
Maybe I place the letter [P] as an indication as a preamplifier to the existing list.
Ill think about it...
I was being lazy. LOL

I ended up with a Cabernet DHT but I'll compare to a Neo later down the line.

300B craze has swept.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #49 of 2,858
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #50 of 2,858
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #51 of 2,858
Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #52 of 2,858
Apr 14, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #53 of 2,858
Feliks audio Envy $7000
https://feliksaudio.pl/product/envy/

So far this is the best amp out there that supports 300B for headphones. Its simplistic and beautiful and it is 300B love. Can drive Abyss TC and Susvara to anything. It is all most perfect. :L3000:
Might be my new Amp :)
You can order any custom wood you want.... It is perfect.
oak_quarter.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #54 of 2,858
Feliks audio Envy $7000
https://feliksaudio.pl/product/envy/

So far this is the best amp out there that supports 300B for headphones. Its simplistic and beautiful and it is 300B love. Can drive Abyss TC and Susvara to anything. It is all most perfect. :L3000:
Might be my new Amp :)
You can order any custom wood you want.... It is perfect.
oak_quarter.png
What criteria did you use to declare it "the best"?

Just curious...

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #55 of 2,858
What criteria did you use to declare it "the best"?

Just curious...
1. Balance XLR headphone inputs.
2. 300B inputs of course.
3. Custom wood design. I get to pick zebrawood or anything I want. Thats a win.
4. Powerful enough for Susvara ecth....
5. Simplistic design and less tubes with 300B. Normally I see a 300B with like 10 other tubes.
6. It has balance outputs. Normally I see a only RCA.
7. Price is somewhat fair. It is still pricy. But at least not over 10K
8. A company that is reputable in the tube amp spot.
9. it has a low/mid/high section
10. And again I like the look. It looks great and small and perfect for a desktop area.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #56 of 2,858
6. It has balance outputs. Normally I see a only RCA.
I assume you meant inputs as most amps on the list do provide xlr output. Most tube amps are not balanced from end to end. Single ended tube amps that have balance inputs uses additional transformers like Jensen or Cinemag to connect balanced output to unbalanced amps. Having XLR input only serve to provide more input option and does nothing for the sound. The red october also comes with balance inputs if that's your criteria.

5. Simplistic design and less tubes with 300B. Normally I see a 300B with like 10 other tubes.
Most amps on the list don't use more than 4 tubes. The studio B for example also uses 4 tubes the same as the Envy.

I've heard and enjoyed Feliks audio products before and do find that they made good products so if you like the Envy for it's design or whatever reasons do feel free to order one but at least from what I'm seeing there's nothing that made it head and shoulders above the competition.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #57 of 2,858
@helljudgement
What will you prefer over the Feliks? It is solid enough for me?
Manley Labs – Neo-Classic 300B looks great but now I want XLR for my headphones.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #58 of 2,858
I assume you meant inputs as most amps on the list do provide xlr output. Most tube amps are not balanced from end to end. Single ended tube amps that have balance inputs uses additional transformers like Jensen or Cinemag to connect balanced output to unbalanced amps. Having XLR input only serve to provide more input option and does nothing for the sound. The red october also comes with balance inputs if that's your criteria.
What a beautiful amp! I've never heard one, but aesthetically, it's gorgeous!

Most amps on the list don't use more than 4 tubes. The studio B for example also uses 4 tubes the same as the Envy.

I've heard and enjoyed Feliks audio products before and do find that they made good products so if you like the Envy for it's design or whatever reasons do feel free to order one but at least from what I'm seeing there's nothing that made it head and shoulders above the competition.
I have to admit, that's what initially drew my attention to it. I was starting to look outside my Woo Audio wheelhouse and came across the original posting and it caught my eye. But I also understand that you buy an amplifier for it's AUDIO performance, with looks being secondary (while also somewhat important). After all, you can't HEAR how pretty it looks, only how pretty it sounds...

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #59 of 2,858
@helljudgement
What will you prefer over the Feliks? It is solid enough for me?
Manley Labs – Neo-Classic 300B looks great but now I want XLR for my headphones.
What headphones are you using and what are you looking to enhance for your headphone? Like I said balance inputs alone does nothing to improve sound and most amps stated like the cayin and eddie current already have xlr outputs so its more important for you to state the sort of sound you are looking to achieve with your setup. The envy just got released and apart from a lucky few most have never heard it so I can’t say if it is good or bad but only that it doesn’t look that much different from the competition.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #60 of 2,858
@helljudgement

I agree overall what you are saying and thinking. I might get a couple of amps to balance everything out. The Cayin HA-300MK2, Feliks and little dot Y2.
But overall, I am basing my pick on the list I laid out above. Sound matters, but also features too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back