headphone transplants
May 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

headphone man07

100+ Head-Fier
just had an amazing idea (in my opinion)
what if we got some unloved headphones e.g. beats solo, skullcandy hesh e.t.c. took out the innards except the cable and the cable joint and put in speakers from some really nice headphones!!!! Just imagine everyone coming up to you and saying, hey nice headphones with your grado sr60i-beats solo!!! Ideas please, also I have little to no headphone diy-ing knowledge so if this is a plausible idea then please help me 

May 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 11
and, as a joke, we could put the solos speakers the grados and watch as non-audiophiles turn their noses up 
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 11
It would work with proper damping and assuming the innards of the headphone have similar dimensions to the donor headphone, for acoustic reasons. I thought about trying this with fake beats exec (gorgeous) a while back but it's a ton of work. Actually, a member here Armaegis does driver transplants, pretty good work too

May 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 11
My friend does transplants of his old yamaha headphones and it's always a struggle to find a new host. And even when he does it usually sounds completely different.

If you've ever tried grados and put your hands over them, you'd know.

May 18, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Not even worth the joke...

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 11
what's the company that makes imod? I'm sure if Jude went to them and did puppy eyes and asked to do it commercially then it would save us the trouble of having to explain our Audiophilia, and we'd get good looking sound. Let's face the truth guys. A heck of a lot of audiophile stuff isn't the best looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back