Headphone to IEM converts?
Jun 29, 2016 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LTSFBH

100+ Head-Fier
I've just started my foray into the quality IEM world. While I'm currently wallowing in the shallow end, I can see a whole lot of potentially great audio bliss using IEMs. I currently have Shure SE215,Havi B3 Pro 1,MEE M6 Pro and due any day FAAEAL 150 ohm and seaHF 320 ohm. I'm curious to know if anyone started out using headphones and has made the switch to either mostly, or exclusively, using IEMs? I have no intention of parting with my Grado PS500e or 325e, but I can see my Q701s starting to gather dust.

BTW I have tried the ones I have with my Lyr2 with really good results. Waiting for the high impedance ones to use with my Lyr1 and Valhalla. Anyone using Schiit amps with their IEMs?

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 10
You've got the B3 Pro 1 so you're off to a strong start, haha. Once I got my hands/ears on the JVC HA-FXT90 I've been gung ho for in-ears ever since. My AKG K553 Pro is used on occasion when I'm in the mood for some headphone listening, but for the most part my headphones just sit in storage, unused. I just realized there are 10 pairs of iems and a Monk+ (you should get a pair of Monks) sitting on my desk right now. Four pairs are out for review and comparison purposes, but still...What...haha. Like I said. Gung ho!

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, I started off in the T50rp modding scene, had some fun, but eventually transitioned to the world of IEMs.
Had the Schiit Stack 2U stack for one year, but sold it because i needed some money. Just got myself the HifiME Sabre 9018, which drives all the IEMs I currently have just fine.

I almost say that the mid-to upper end Schiit stuff is a bit of an overkill (even the 2U Stack actually), but I liked the low noisefloor and versatility.

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 10
I've just started my foray into the quality IEM world. While I'm currently wallowing in the shallow end, I can see a whole lot of potentially great audio bliss using IEMs. I currently have Shure SE215,Havi B3 Pro 1,MEE M6 Pro and due any day FAAEAL 150 ohm and seaHF 320 ohm. I'm curious to know if anyone started out using headphones and has made the switch to either mostly, or exclusively, using IEMs? I have no intention of parting with my Grado PS500e or 325e, but I can see my Q701s starting to gather dust.

BTW I have tried the ones I have with my Lyr2 with really good results. Waiting for the high impedance ones to use with my Lyr1 and Valhalla. Anyone using Schiit amps with their IEMs?

Did you forget the Martin Logan Mikros 70 or did you move that out?

:rolleyes::wink::wink:

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I've been in this hobby for a couple of years and used mostly headphones because I believed that they were just superior to IEMs. I have a pair of Sony MDR-1Rs for portable use and replaced my Sennheiser 598s with a pair of Hifiman HE-400S a few months ago for desktop use. Naturally I got the itch to upgrade my portable headphones but there's nothing currently that caught my eye. So I decided to give some IEMs a try since I always had a pair of Piston 3s in my car when it was too troublesome to carry around my Sony's. In the past two months I've gone through the Fiio EX1, 1more triple driver, and the Mee Pinnacle P1. The EX1 were really good but the lack of bass and slightly shrieky highs caused me to return them. So far the P1s have been great and I'm still surprised how good IEMs can be. It's fun trying out different tips and seeing how it changes the sound ever so slightly on the P1s. They have pretty much replaced my Sonys for portable use. I wish I had tried out IEMs sooner

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hopefully more will chime in.

ESL-1: I did indeed forget to list the ML's, but to be perfectly honest, they are out shined by the others. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hopefully more will chime in.

ESL-1: I did indeed forget to list the ML's, but to be perfectly honest, they are out shined by the others. 

Glad you enjoying the new journey.... Maybe a set of GR10's deserve a listen.......:cool:

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 10
I started out with Dt770/80 pro and fiio e11. I was curious about soundstage and thought bigger must mean better. After that I bought Dt880 pro, akg612pro, and hd650. Although these headphones sounded great I was still curious about iems so I bought the narmoo S1. Something about the sound just had me hooked even moreso than my full size headphones. I also loved the variety and the budget prices. Now majority of my headtime is with iems. I'm starting to go up the ladder from budget iems and have been pleasanty surprised.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 10
I've owned a pair of HD 600's for a very long time, and a pair of K 702 Anniversaries for quite a while but I tend to listen to my Noble 3's driven by a Dragonfly Red more than either of them, There may be a few things the full sized cans do better but there are also a lot of things the IEM's do better. The biggest issue with IEM's is finding the right sound signature. It's much easier to find places to audition headphones vs IEM's

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I got my FAAEAL and seahf earbuds. The FAAEAL 300 ohm (corrected from 150 ohm I previously posted) sound pretty good. At first a bit bright. After 17 hours of burn in with pink noise and a few hours of music, most of the top end harshness has pretty much disappeared. The seahf 320 ohm buds were a pleasant surprise. They have the same sound characteristics as a decenr pair of mid-fi on-ears. Nice soundstage, good bass impact and definition, clear mids and no harshness or sibilance in the highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back