Headphone Therapy
Dec 11, 2010 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

edstrelow

Headphoneus Supremus
Today has been one of those days when I can honestly say that the only thing that made life worth living was my Stax headphones. 

This is my first day of recovery from a hernia repair operation.  As is customary in American medicine,  this is done as an out-patient procedure, where shortly after you are sewn up, you go home with an ice-bag and a bottle of pills.  Not  that I really want to stay any longer in a hospital than is absolutely necessary and hernia repair is one of the most common surgeries for men and probably pales into insigficance compared to the much bigger incisions that women routinely undergo for a Caesearian delivery. 

However just about the only thing I have done today is hurt. Even minor turning of the body is excruciating and has to be done very slowly, and forget about bending down to pick up anything. 

So pardon my grumbling but if anyone out there thinks that this hobby is an arcane waste of money, here I am, at the end of the day listening to Verdi on my 717/007 system. This is the only good experience that I have had in 2 days and my system is worth every penny of the  several $K that have gone into it. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 7
One time, I had a crappy day, and I just sat in my chair all night and listened. Truly what these rigs are for. They aren't for comparisons. They aren't for bragging. They aren't even for debate on the internet. They're for just zoning out, and feeling the music.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Firstly, get better soon, take it easy and let your body heal.. Time really is the best for that!
Secondly I completely understand where you are coming from!

Early this week I developed a migraine, you would think the very last thing I would want is music directly into my ears but I have to say after two hours of Stepdance/ Denons and apple lossless ipod playing Kate Bush and Saint- saens my migraine had eased greatly!

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 7
I had debilitating migraines from age 12-22 and the only thing that got me through it was my ability to put on my music and zone out, so I definitely get the concept of "music/audio as therapy".

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 7
So what does it mean If my head begins to hurt when i don't listen to my headphones regularly? That's the flipside of this concept i guess... JK.
tongue.gif

Yeah, Those sessions late at night after a tough day are often oh so special with the right music.

Be well, edstrelow.  

Dec 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Today has been one of those days when I can honestly say that the only thing that made life worth living was my Stax headphones. 

This is my first day of recovery from a hernia repair operation.  As is customary in American medicine,  this is done as an out-patient procedure, where shortly after you are sewn up, you go home with an ice-bag and a bottle of pills.  Not  that I really want to stay any longer in a hospital than is absolutely necessary and hernia repair is one of the most common surgeries for men and probably pales into insigficance compared to the much bigger incisions that women routinely undergo for a Caesearian delivery. 

However just about the only thing I have done today is hurt. Even minor turning of the body is excruciating and has to be done very slowly, and forget about bending down to pick up anything. 

So pardon my grumbling but if anyone out there thinks that this hobby is an arcane waste of money, here I am, at the end of the day listening to Verdi on my 717/007 system. This is the only good experience that I have had in 2 days and my system is worth every penny of the  several $K that have gone into it. 

Sorry to hear... I wish you a speedy recovery...

On that note, you should really contact your doctor, you should not be in so much pain... it is not healthy. They obviously did not give you enough oxy... Should definitely be about 20 or more mg per 4/5 hours.

From my experience (and clinical studies) pain management is blown the second you are aware of it, which is why they should have had you on a little more than necessary before the morphine in your system wore off... It is unfortunate, but you could probably be better medicated. Perhaps hernias are just overly painful though.

I am glad your nice set up offers you some solace!

All the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back