Headphone that suits my taste
Feb 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tuby sound

Head-Fier
Hello fellas,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading a few threads to educate myself however haven't found what I need.

I'm looking for some headphones that expands the soundstage beyond the drivers - I'm listenning to a lot of Trance and Progressive Electro and therefore would like to be transported by the music - I guess I'm not looking too much for tonality.

I know I need to find some "open" ones but what else?

I'd like to gather your experience with what you think suits my taste in those categories:
below $200
between $200 and $500
above $500 (Sennheiser HD800, AKG K1000, Grado GS1000) others?

Thank you and Best regards,
Kelvin

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 23
K70x for the middle category...and HD800 for the latter category.
I really don't thing the AKG will do your music justice...but you did say that you were less interested in tonality.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuby sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions.

Wondering... Aren't the DT770 closed back?
Aren't the DT880 or DT990 better for what I'm trying to achieve?

Just trying to learn...
Kelvin

Oh - I thought you said what else. I think those are closed - or are they semi-open? I don't really know. The DT880s are semi-open, but I think for more bass you would probably not want those but the 990s instead - which might be totally open, or maybe it's different depending on what version they are (pro vs. premium, etc.). That's easy enough to find out, just do a google search.

Maybe those sonys that a lot of people recommend would be good - SA5000 ?? Or some other DJ type headphone, like JVC or Stanton, etc., although most of those might be closed.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 23
If you're not dead-set on getting a pair of open cans, you might consider picking up a pair of Denons, like the AH-D2000s (these would probably fit in your middle price category). I think they're a pretty good match for the music you listen to, and they have a pretty good soundstage despite being a closed design.

As for open headphones, I would probably disagree with the AKG K701/702 recommendation. I think they sound good for acoustic music, but probably not so much for trance and electronic. One of the Beyerdynamics might be a better bet, probably the DT990 for its more heavily emphasized bass.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 23
Been reading a bit... ok A LOT!!!!! about the suggestions...

I like what I read about the Denon AH-D2000, AT AD700, Beyerdynamic DT770 & DT990, Sony MDR-F1

Is my list good? Can someone comment on those?

Thank you,
Kelvin

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 23
good list, but i doubt the AD700's will pack in the bass punch you are looking for. they have great soundstage and terrific gaming cans for the price/performance ration, but still fall short on the bass department.

Denon D2000 & DT770 pro(80ohm) should be what you need. The 990's are excellent if you want that detail of the 880 with a spicy kick on the side !.
I own a pair myself and the musicality for any song i throw at it is very satisfying to my ears. Just make sure you have the adequate amping/source.

Feb 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 23
I've found a D2000 for $195 on DJToys.com ; a DT770 PRO for $219 ; and a DT990 for $172 on UniversalLCD.com

I think that from the reviews, I'm more interested in the D2000.

Also, what do you guyz think of the Shure SRH-840? Good for my taste?

Kelvin

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 cents...........don't buy denon for trance..it imposes it's sonic signature on all music. Full disclosure, I think the 2000's stink....period, want mine?

What do you mean it is bad for trance - I heard the bass was good with a good to great soundstage for closed.
Can you please comment on the signature also

Thanks,
Kelvin

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 23
K70X's are horrible for trance; they lack a lot of the bass punch you want, and are more on the treble end of things.
Grado's may sort-of-kind-of work with trance and stuff, but I'd say you'll need at least the SR80 to get a bit of bass. All of the lower-end Grado's have a very in-your-face and rather mids/highs emphasis in presentation, but the bass has a very good punch. Fun to listen to, but it may get tiring since the bass is constantly knocking your brains around.
I know Denons are great when it comes to bass impact, but I haven't been able to listen to the better ones to get a feel of them. Probably Beyer DT 770's or DT 990's would be good; DT 880's are apparently very bright, and 770's are rather bassy. 990's are pretty good all around.
Having listened to Sennheiser HD 580's (with 600 grills and stock/650 cable) as well as HD 650's just the other day, I can recommend either of them. The key is that you really must replace the stock cable of the 580 with the 650's. I initially thought changing cables was a bunch of hoo-hah, but the 650's cables really bring out the bass extension and impact from the 580's. After that, it's up to you to decide whether you want fun and musical and analog-sounding (580's), or a flatter, more digital and slightly bassier signature (650's). Haven't tried the 600's, however.
When it comes to soundstage, I don't really remember the K70X's or Denon's soundstages, but the Sennheiser has a feeling of depth, while the Beyer's have a feeling of breadth.
Oh, and any way you go, expect to spend around 300 on any one can, plus another few hundred for a new amp.

EDIT: added my impressions for their sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back