Headphone that sounds like K81DJ but more comfortable?
Feb 22, 2010 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mike410

New Head-Fier
Hello

I recently purchased a K81DJ after reading some reviews of them on here. I am really pleased with how they sound. What isn't pleasing is the way my ears feel after 5-10 minutes of use. I have tried multiple techniqes of making them more comfortable as mentioned in other threads with no success.

So I am looking for a replacement for the K81s that have a similar sound signature. I would prefer circumaural due to comfort. They will be mostly used in a home setting. I would also prefer closed but I am open to all suggestions.

Budget around $80

Music: Mostly metal, some electronic and occasionally rap

Source: Bantam DAC (PC)/ Xbox360 > mini^3 > headphones

headphones ive tried or own:

Senn HD202: way more comfortable than the K81s. Don't really remember the sound since they have been broken for a while

KSC-75s: really like the way they sound. Find the bass to be lacking some impact

Creative Aurvana Live!: Super comfortable but find the bass lacking a bit

I guess im a bit of a bass head, but not so much that I want overpowering lows. I still appreciate good mids and highs.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Only thing that can slam out as much bass is the DT770, which is $200.

You've probably bent the headband, but have you tried HD25 velour pads?

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 8
If you tried the K81 the only thing that'll be bassier than that is the DT770

But for under $80 your best bet with the most bass is the Creative Aurvana Live or D1001

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Even better: he already has the CAL! ; too little bass.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But for under $80 your best bet with the most bass is the Creative Aurvana Live or D1001

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even better: he already has the CAL! ; too little bass.
wink_face.gif

it's the curse of the K81
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only thing that can slam out as much bass is the DT770, which is $200.

You've probably bent the headband, but have you tried HD25 velour pads?

I saw that the HD25 velour pads are supposed to increase the comfort, but I cant imagine it making them that much more bearable. I dont think its the heat from the pads just the clamping force (even with the headband bent)

My friend has the CALs but they probably only have like 10-20 hours of use on them. I may have to sacrifice the low end of the K81s to the comfort of the CALs. I can't stand having my ears on fire when doing my homework or playing xbox

Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's the curse of the K81
very_evil_smiley.gif

yup, it got me

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 8
The only headphone with more bass than the K81 is the K181
very_evil_smiley.gif
. It's a bit more comfortable due to the larger, softer pads, but not by much. I've seen used pairs go for $80-90 before. M-Audio Q40 is an alternative as is the mini-Q40, aka the JVC HA-M750. Both the Q40 and M750 give me bass headaches but the latter may not have quite enough slam for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back