Headphone that is the same as Audio Technica ATH-M50 but detachable cords/cables?
Sep 2, 2013 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

johnvonmacz

Head-Fier
Hi, I don't wanna do mods because I'm scared that I might break it. I really love the ATH-M50 and planning to pull the trigger on it. But when I found out that the cables are not detachable, I felt a bit.. just a bit disappointed. So now, can anyone please recommend me a headphone that is comparable to ATH-M50 in terms of sound quality, build and price but detachable cords/cables? Thanks!

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 32
I think that for $160 you can get a M50 which has the detachable cable mod done to it. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 32
Where can I get it?

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 32
Try here:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s

Select the cable mod from the drop down box. And don't forget to add the discount before purchase. I personally got my M50 from them.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:
Try here:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/ATH-M50s

Select the cable mod from the drop down box. And don't forget to add the discount before purchase. I personally got my M50 from them.

Thanks for the link! It says free shipping on order over $19.99 but when I check the drop down menu, the cheapest shipping is $21. Is the free shipping only applies to US? Cuz I live in Canada. I also love that they offer an extra $40 coupon. I might pull the trigger on this one. This will be my first High-end headphone investment if ever. And hopefully it's totally worth it. Can you also please post some pics of your ATH-M50 modded by them? Thank! :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 32
Anyway another question.. is the regular ATH-M50 with no detachable cord a deal breaker or not really? And if ever I get the modded one, where can I buy the cords? Thanks!

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 32
No problem. The M50 was my first entry into the hifi world too. Solid choice :wink:. I personally own the coiled cable version. It doesn't appear they are on sale though. The white and red versions are available though for a little extra. Those red cans look great. I don't have a detachable mod either. It's a handy feature, but I rarely use it on the headphones that do have that option anyway (Jaycar HM5s for example). I don't think it's a deal-beaker myself.

As for postage, I can't help. I live in Australia. I think they had a free shipping option when I purchased. Hope that helps.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 32
Shure 840 has detachable cord and even comes with an extra set of ear pads. I traded away my M50s after buying Shure 840 because IMO they have slightly better SQ and the pads on the M50s was not comfortable enough for  me. On the downside the 840s are heavier on than M50. That is my one complaint about 840.  I've seen Shure going for about $180.00. I paid $200.00 for both M50 and 840 in Canada.

The 840s can take a lot of abuse and are a very good studio headphone. No distortion at all when using them for electric guitar practice (bass guitar too), unlike my beyer DT990pro which did distort at louder volume on my guitar amp.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 32
Shure 840 has detachable cord and even comes with an extra set of ear pads. I traded away my M50s after buying Shure 840 because IMO they have slightly better SQ and the pads on the M50s was not comfortable enough for  me. On the downside the 840s are heavier on than M50. That is my one complaint about 840.  I've seen Shure going for about $180.00. I paid $200.00 for both M50 and 840 in Canada.

The 840s can take a lot of abuse and are a very good studio headphone. No distortion at all when using them for electric guitar practice (bass guitar too), unlike my beyer DT990pro which did distort at louder volume on my guitar amp.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll do some research on that one too. I usually listen to FLAC rap, hiphop, rnb on my PC. I just want awesome clarity in singers vocals and the bass while it's there, doesn't really overpower the other instruments. Any thought's on Senn's HD 380 Pro guys? Should I get that instead?

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 32
Hmmm. You're in Canada right - are you familiar with a store called XSCargo? There was discussion in the thread for the Somic MH463 that there is a rebrand of this headphone on clearance for $29.99, under the Lethal Audio brand. For $30, that's about the best band for buck you'll get! Pretty crazy price. Only Canadians seem to be able to take advantage of it though. $60 for my pair was a good deal at the time. They're considered budget beaters, like the M50. I personally think they wipe the floor with them - the just do everything better (great audio quality, huge 50mm drivers, open-back for wider soundstage). Just be aware of the various 'quirks' you'll encounter with these cans :D. Take a look at some reviews and read this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing

On page 33 is discussion on the Canadian rebrands.

If I were you and they were available, I'd get them in a heartbeat. For that kind of money you can't go wrong.

Edit: Plus, seeing as you can buy in person, you'll presumably also be able to return them if something is wrong or you don't like. You'll get to test them, effectively, instead of blind buying.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 32
I go to XSCargo on occasion. Lots of grey market stuff in their stores. :wink: Maybe I will go tomorrow and see if they have these headphones.

I once saw them advertising Monster Beats but at only available in a couple of select Ontario locations. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight... :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll do some research on that one too. I usually listen to FLAC rap, hiphop, rnb on my PC. I just want awesome clarity in singers vocals and the bass while it's there, doesn't really overpower the other instruments. Any thought's on Senn's HD 380 Pro guys? Should I get that instead?

SH-840 fit your SQ desires, decent bottom end with no bloat too. Look at these reviews on amazon.com

98 *****  star reviews means something about them must be good. Honestly, they sound very similar to ATH-M50.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 32
In my opinion, Schonen has it right. The Shure 840's are the closest to the ath-m50's with a detachable cable. i almost bought them but prefer the ath-m50's sound better. The Shure 840's bass is more noticeable but didn't seem as natural to me. The highs seemed enhanced as well and they weren't as comfortable to me. I have the ath-m50's and the hd 380 pros. I like them both, a lot. The two are completely different headphones. I'd say each at the opposite end of the other. I use the hd 380 pros at work, the ath-m50's at home. Not sure why but I prefer the way they sound this way better. I do wish the ath-m50's had the replaceable cable. I got the straight cable version, wish I would have chosen the corded one but no one carried it around here. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably choose the ath-m50 for just one reason. The hd380 pros have that Sennheiser veiled sound. I like it, for some reason like it better at work, smoother more refined but more expensive. The ath-m50's seem clearer, more up front, better value. Both very comfortable wearing a long time. I do agree both sound much, much better after about 50 hours of high volume burn in. You can listen to the ath-m50's, the Shure 840's and the hd 380 pro's at Guitar Center if there is one near you.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:
Hmmm. You're in Canada right - are you familiar with a store called XSCargo? There was discussion in the thread for the Somic MH463 that there is a rebrand of this headphone on clearance for $29.99, under the Lethal Audio brand. For $30, that's about the best band for buck you'll get! Pretty crazy price. Only Canadians seem to be able to take advantage of it though. $60 for my pair was a good deal at the time. They're considered budget beaters, like the M50. I personally think they wipe the floor with them - the just do everything better (great audio quality, huge 50mm drivers, open-back for wider soundstage). Just be aware of the various 'quirks' you'll encounter with these cans
biggrin.gif
. Take a look at some reviews and read this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637699/50mm-driver-open-air-full-size-cans-pop-out-of-nowhere-sound-amazing

On page 33 is discussion on the Canadian rebrands.

If I were you and they were available, I'd get them in a heartbeat. For that kind of money you can't go wrong.

Edit: Plus, seeing as you can buy in person, you'll presumably also be able to return them if something is wrong or you don't like. You'll get to test them, effectively, instead of blind buying.

I currently have the Somic EV-50. Got it as a gift from a bud. The sound quality is average and even when I play some HQ FLAC Files, There are some points where the sound would sound like a shattered glass especially when vocals hit the high notes, I did some research about Somic and I found out that they are some chinese company who makes cheap headphones. That's why I'm planning to invest to a more expensive but excellent set of headphone. Also I want closed-type of headphone because I don't wanna disturb people when they're asleep. Anyway, in the soundprofessionals.com the black ATH-M50 w/ detachable mod cost $170 in total including shipping. While the RED Version w/ detachable mod cost $180 including shipping. Do you think guys that the ATH-M50 is worth it for those prices? Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back