Headphone Test Track
Mar 21, 2006 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
So maybe I'm new to this whole game, but what tracks do you guys use to test the sonics of headphones? I just got my k701's and im trying to figure out how they sound under different stresses.

Right now I'm doing a/b comparisons with other cans using:
Massive Attack: Angel (bass bigger than life)
Josh Groban: All'improviso Amore (male voice)
Wicked: Defying Gravity (female voice)
Meshuggah: I (heavy metal)
Rent: Finale B (harmonized voices)

Any other recommendations?

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 7
In my opinion, the best music to test headphones with is the music you are the most familiar with. These would be the songs you know inside and out.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 7
I dunno...crappy low-res compressed tracks won't easily reveal the full potential of your hardware. Recordings with good resolution, dynamics, and transparency should sound better with higher-fidelity equipment, and thus create a noticeable performance disparity.
Your familiarity with, and the quality of the recording are the two critical factors.

Here are the albums I refer to in the order I reach for them;

The Ultimate Demonstration Disc - Chesky Records
Live at Luther College - DMB
One Quiet Night - Pat Methany
the Best of - Dire Straights
Live In Paris - Diana Krall
Michael Jackson - History

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 7
For classic rock I like to test with Rush - YYZ. It's a great example of classic rock, but the breaking glass will still give me chills on nice systems.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Nice buy with the 701s. I'm loving mine more and more every day.

I tend to use the following (and yes, these are intimately familiar to me, so take it with a grain of salt) to hear what I'm getting myself into:

Rock - Wolfmother. Good, heavy rock album with lots of punch, and a haunting organ of Doom. It's my favourite disc right now, so it gets on there no matter what I listen with.

Classical - Best of Bach. Complex arrangements really show off the 701's ability to seperate instruments, and the copy i have has a good "hall" recording sound, pulling the soundstage back. Music for 18 Musicians is in rotation right now too, but I am finding it hard to get into, since it's a continuous track with multiple movements, but I bought it off iTunes, so every track is seperated with 2 seconds of dead space.

Jazz - Mostly Buena Vista Social Club and Mambo Sinuendo. Great guitars, excellent production values, and a good range of musical style throughout the two albums. I'm also rekindling my love affair with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. These cans do jazz real good.

Metal - Protest the Hero, "Kezia" and Anthrax's new double CD "no-hit wonders". My Grados kill the 701s here in impact, but the sound is still wonderful. Same goes for Wolfmother above.

Electronic - Welcome to bliss. These phones turn a good stereo mix from exciting to mind-altering. Mouse on Mars' "Idiology", Aphex Twin's "Richard D James Album" and Beef Terminal's "Isolationist" are in heavy rotation.

Hip-Hop - The 701s are great here too. Public Enemy's latest greatest hits album, Danger Mouse and MF Doom's "Danger Mouse" and MC Paul Barman's "Paulelujah".

Country/Rockabilly - Stray Cats, Johnny Cash at San Quentin, Reverend Horton Heat, Matadors and Tiger Army are all in high rotation. Acoustic Bass sounds great here.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the massive attack recommendation. really shows what the bass of my ksc35/cmoy combo is capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back