Headphone Tax Write Offs
Feb 20, 2002 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jordan23

New Head-Fier
I wonder if I can write off all this equipment on my taxes. I realize you guys might think I'm joking, but I use a lot of this stuff at work. I down load music for playing music at the high school basketball games. Just for fun when I call students down for discipline(asst prin) we checkout my gear. I've got klipse speakers and a nice little sub, mp3 player plus some headphones, TA. When they leave they don't know if they have detention, saturday school or 3 days suspension. Anybody else writeoff equipment.

Thanks
confused.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, judging from how many things some people around here buy (15 pairs of cans?) some may be able to write off the loan they took out to pay for it all.....

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by jordan23
I wonder if I can write off all this equipment on my taxes. I realize you guys might think I'm joking, but I use a lot of this stuff at work. I down load music for playing music at the high school basketball games. Just for fun when I call students down for discipline(asst prin) we checkout my gear. I've got klipse speakers and a nice little sub, mp3 player plus some headphones, TA. When they leave they don't know if they have detention, saturday school or 3 days suspension.

Nice try, jordan. First off, are you paying for the downloaded music? If not, I believe that's considered theft. And you're gonna try and write that off? Not a good idea. As for showing the students your gear, I don't think that's not gonna cut it either. As a teacher, if I bring my headphones to class and show my students, can I deduct the cost of them? Uhhhhh........................no.
As I said before, though, ..........................nice try.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Nice try, jordan. First off, are you paying for the downloaded music? If not, I believe that's considered theft. And you're gonna try and write that off?
biggrin.gif

I believe Jordan asked whether he can write off his equipment, not his downloads (but if they were free, I don't think the IRS would care if he "wrote off" a zero expense). Also, there are plenty of legitimately free downloads out there, you needn't assume the worst.

The idea actually does not strike me as completely outlandish, but I'm not about to volunteer tax advice in a public forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back