Headphone system advice, should I upgrade the DAC?
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Apathetic

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am stilll relatively new to the head-fi world and need some help figuring out my next step. I currently own the Dan Clark Stealth headphones, Hugo 2 & 2go, Audion Silver Night HP1.

What would be the recommended next step to improve this? Is it the DAC as I am thinking?

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 15
So your Chord Hugo 2 is already a (trans)portable single-ended DAC/amp, but if you want to have a desktop/home theater DAC with balanced outputs (via xlr) and wouldblike to have the benefits of having a R2R Ladder DAC chip to go with match up well with your Audubon Silver Night HP1, then you can look at the Holo Audio Spring or May product lines:

https://magnahifi.com/brand/holo-audio/

Here are some benefits to having a R2R Ladder DAC:

https://www.ques10.com/p/36984/advantages-of-r-2r-ladder-dac/

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks!

Yes, it is as you say, I started with closed back headphones so that I can use them in public. The Hugo 2 is reasonably transportable, I can listen to it in a plane, hotel room, etc. Not exactly while walking around, but that is not the current priority.

I am thinking that a desktop DAC with balanced output would be a good upgrade. If I understand correctly Holo Audio is the brand and Kitsune their US distributor? They do their own special editions?

Any idea of an R2R DAC that is easily available in the UK? I would be curious to listen to one to get a feel for it.

Dec 30, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks!

Yes, it is as you say, I started with closed back headphones so that I can use them in public. The Hugo 2 is reasonably transportable, I can listen to it in a plane, hotel room, etc. Not exactly while walking around, but that is not the current priority.

I am thinking that a desktop DAC with balanced output would be a good upgrade. If I understand correctly Holo Audio is the brand and Kitsune their US distributor? They do their own special editions?

Any idea of an R2R DAC that is easily available in the UK? I would be curious to listen to one to get a feel for it.

AFAIK it is safe to assume that about Holo Audio and Kitsune Hifi, but you should ask about that in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/holo-audio-may-dac-speculation.865892/

As for possibly demoing an R2R DAC in England (I assume): call these folks and ask about possibly demoing this R2R DAC, which has been heralded by many as one of the best bang-for-your-buck R2R DACs around:

https://www.willowtreeaudio.co.uk/denafrips-ares-ii

Dec 30, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks!

What I found when I was in a similar situation was that a DAP for on the go was better than a mobile DAC plugged into a phone. Then, a desktop DAC was best for use at the desk. The Fiio M11 is pretty cheap and sounds really good with a ton of output options (as an example, you can get better ones.) Anyway, just a thought.

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks! :)

I am also curious to explore DAPs after I find my desktop DAC. Do you use IEMs or headphone with your DAP?

I initially got the Hugo2 because I found it at a very good price on ebay. And it is relatively versatile. But now, I am looking to optimise my headphone setup and then the on the go setup.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 15
Thanks! :)

I am also curious to explore DAPs after I find my desktop DAC. Do you use IEMs or headphone with your DAP?

I initially got the Hugo2 because I found it at a very good price on ebay. And it is relatively versatile. But now, I am looking to optimise my headphone setup and then the on the go setup.
I use both, depending on my mood and what I have at the time. I find that Headphone DAC/amps are just super unreliable while DAPs just seem to work without any heartache.

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 15
Jan 1, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes, that's the one! I found out about it by chance through a YouTube recommendation. :)

Thanks for the list, it gives me IEMs to hunt for!
Campfire is USA (all the way) I do see Moondrop on their website though, which is great (Chinese though.) Here's a list of the Japanese IEM makers:
Acoustune
Audio Technica (decent)
Final Audio (Some of the best)
Sony (some very good IEMs)
JVC (eh)
Oriolus (solid)
Hyla
Zero Audio (pretty good)
Intime
Ocharaku/Co-Donguri

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #15 of 15
Campfire is USA (all the way) I do see Moondrop on their website though, which is great (Chinese though.) Here's a list of the Japanese IEM makers:
Acoustune
Audio Technica (decent)
Final Audio (Some of the best)
Sony (some very good IEMs)
JVC (eh)
Oriolus (solid)
Hyla
Zero Audio (pretty good)
Intime
Ocharaku/Co-Donguri

Thanks! It will be very interesting to give these a listen! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back