Headphone Synergy for V-Can Mk I
Feb 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TC Johnson

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

I recently picked up a V-Can Mk I for late night listening and am curious what folks here have found to be a good match for this amp.  Because sound leakage is an issue, I need a closed back can.  My preference is for a neutral and accurate response across the audio band, but not so analytical as to become fatiguing.  I want to be tired eventually, but not my ears!

I have Shure SRH840s and Sennheiser HD 380 Pros on their way to check out, and currently own Eartools RP-21s, which are OK, but I long for a more involving sound.  My budget ranges up to about $300.

What other closed circumaural heaphones should I consider as a synergystic match for the V-Can?

Thanks in advance.

TC

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I would say the SRH-840 would be a pretty good match. I have only heard the SRH-440 with the V-Can, but it did sound nice!

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply.

I did some comparative listening to the Senns and the Shures yesterday through my Marantz SA8260 CD/SACD player, itself purchased because of highly favorable reviews and recommendations.  The Shures were pulling ahead by a good margin as far as overall sound and neutrality.  The Sennheiser HD 380s brought more impact to the Bass, but missed something of the transparency of the SRH840s.

Later, I spent time listening to the rig I will likely use them most on, which is my iPod Classic feeding the V-Can.  I don't have an RCA LOD, so the V-Can is fed through a mini-plug out from the headphone jack on the iPod to the RCA inputs on the amp.  Some had complained about the amp driving too loudly,but since volume could be adjusted on the iPod, I never encountered this.

What I did find was the Shure suddenly lost some of its neutrality and overall smoothness compared to the CD player.  The iPod contains both downloads and rips at Apple Lossless so it should have compared well with the player, or so I thought.

I am spending more time with the cans in this setup today to see if it was the weaknesses of he system being exposed, or real differences in the headphones themselves.  If I don't embrace one or the other of the two being compared, i will keep looking and auditioning other options.

Has anyone used the Denon 1100s in a similar setup?  How about AT770s?

TC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back