Headphone Sugguestions! Need a breath of fresh air.
Dec 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Martinrm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone, 

As you can tell i am new to the head-fi forums, but this probably won’t be the last time you see me. I do enjoy a good forums with people that have similar interests as i do. I'm always open to any suggestions but there are a few things i'm looking for. For me i think headphones are a very personable thing, something that is strongly effected by biases and based on personal preference, but with a community like this im sure that when it comes down to the distinct aspects of a set of headphones we can mostly agree. That’s after all why i decided to join this community instead of reading amazon reviews that typically say something along the lines of "Good sounding with SUPER bass". I think we all know the amount of bass does not correlate to how good of a pair of headphones they are. If that were true than we all should be walking around with 2x 10 Inch subwoofers attached to our heads lol. Without further ranting we'll get down to the point.

Ive been using the "time tested" beginners audiophiles headphones, the Audio Technicas ATH-M50's. While i do enjoy their sound i find myself finding flaws in the sound that would make it more enjoyable without. One of which is the mid-highs, yes they are loud, but they are almost shrill. The bass is strong, but drowns out the low mids. I do still like these headphones but as i said i think i need a breath of fresh air. I'm someone who enjoys music, unaltered music. As an attempt to get a new pair of cans and also scratch the itch of buying a pair of ANR headphones i got the Logitech UE 9000's. Short story, they are being returned. From my point of view, when the noise cancelling turned on, Logitech’s internal amp did a fine job of butchering my music and through an excessive amount of bass :frowning2: This is something i hate to see from headphone oems. The Bluetooth was indeed  good, but my laptop didnt support A2DP BT so i had bad quality which kinda defeated the purpose of buying one of the best BT headphones. Also these are really uncomfortable cam in my opinion. Long story short the bluetooth and ANR were more of an impluse than anything, ive tried it and realized i dont need it. 

Anyways, i think its best just to list some headphone aspects im looking for with a given price range. 
Good natural sounding buy with punchy bass (not so much strong overpowering bass, but something so you know its there). This is the problem i had with my sennheiser HD 429's, good mids and highs buy absolutely no bass/lows at all which create a not very good listening experience.
Decent soundscape, so probably open construction. I really want to immersed and live the music. 
Wired, hopefully detachable.

In the $100 - $300 price range
Comfortable (I had such an awful experience with the UE9k that i want something i can listen to for hours)

So, To one line it. Im looking for a natural sounding headphone with good bass that is very immersive with good soundscape. 

Ill add that my setup is either from my desk amp using a 1/4 jack or using a Fiio E11 headphone amp from my phone (Which actually has a pretty good built in amp itself) or from my computer. 

Im my short list i have in mind:
sennheiser hd 598

v moda crossfade lp

Please tell me you opinions/sugguestions/likes/dislikes i want it all. I think more information is always important when developing an educated buying conclusion. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 12
the HD598 is much better than the V-moda crossfade LP and will probably give you enough bass, as well as everything else your looking for.  

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 12
^ yea i wouldnt even consider the lp.

I would also add philips fidelio x1 to the list. Theyre open back headphones with great bass and good soundstage that are just a TON of fun to listen to!

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't think you'll be happy with either M80 (closed) or HD598 (bass). HE300 or, based on reviews, Fidelio X1.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 12
If going closed, I would look into the new portable akg k545 (only $200 at razerdogaudio). pretty good impressions from initial users. has solid sound stage. Or the AKG K550 (nonportable, but amazing sound stage for a closed pair)

Otherwise, go open. an additional option to look at is AKG Q701/K701 which is within your budget. also the beyer dt990s would be suitable for you.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Dont think the 701 are a good choice as its fairly bass light. Not only that but it also requires a fairly dedicated amp and dac.

@claritas what do u find wrong with the x1
For this situation? I see the x1
As a headphone that seems to suite his needs quite well

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 12
Dont think the 701 are a good choice as its fairly bass light. Not only that but it also requires a fairly dedicated amp and dac.

@claritas what do u find wrong with the x1
For this situation? I see the x1
As a headphone that seems to suite his needs quite well

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I was saying no to M80 and HD598, yes to X1, and adding HE300. I agree with you about K70x and its variants.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks for the feedback guys, i was expecting an email notifying about updated posts since this is what some of my other forums do. Since i got no email i assumed no one was responding, boy was i wrong! You'll are a great community.

So i guess another thing to take into consideration is which of these recommendations also will need a external amp. Though i do have one i often find it obtrusive to carry around when im not at my desk. This is something that originally leaned me towards the  598 based on them sounding good on the go without an amp. The Fidelio X1's are right about the top of my price range, but will it be a considerable improvement over the 598's. I've pretty much crossed the V-Modas off my list, seems like a bassheads headphones, something i am not. 

I did get to test the 598's and i liked the warmth of them, but they were lacking a little bit on the low end needless to say the bass was still composed and defined. 

I can get the 598's for $187
Fidelio X1 for $250

The akg k545 on the other hand look spetacular aesthetic wise. I'd like to see what the general public think about them first though. 

So i think im down to either the AKG 550/454 depending on availability (which done do you consider superior, i know the 454 just came out), the 598's which im leaning away from now since they are light on the bass, or the X1's which seem to be a good bet but they are the very top of my price range.

My worry with the AKG's is the headband, it seems like there is very little padding. Maybe someonee who own a pair can atest to the comfortability of them. My last gripe about them is that its not a detachable cable, but thats getting into the nitpicky stage.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 12
  Thanks for the feedback guys, i was expecting an email notifying about updated posts since this is what some of my other forums do. Since i got no email i assumed no one was responding, boy was i wrong! You'll are a great community. 

Super! You can change it so you get e-mails. Instructions here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/subscription-tutorial.

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 12
I dont often like to self bump, but i do have something to add. 

I have gotten curious about tube pre-amps lately.  I've only ever used digital amps in the past but from what i've great a small tube amp can bring a real uniquness to music listening. Do you think something like the AKG 550's would benifit from an tube amp, also does anyone have any recommendations. 

I've seen these cheap "Little-bear" amps on ebay, i thoght it might be a fun little experiment for $40. Has anyone ever bought one of the "Class A Tube amps"

I'm slowly convincing myself more and more on the 550's mainly because i can get them for around $160 and it wont burn a hole in my pocket. 

K, ive been thinking.
X1 (for $250) vs AKG 550's ($165)
Which one do you think i should go for. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 12
  I dont often like to self bump, but i do have something to add. 

I have gotten curious about tube pre-amps lately.  I've only ever used digital amps in the past but from what i've great a small tube amp can bring a real uniquness to music listening. Do you think something like the AKG 550's would benifit from an tube amp, also does anyone have any recommendations. 

I've seen these cheap "Little-bear" amps on ebay, i thoght it might be a fun little experiment for $40. Has anyone ever bought one of the "Class A Tube amps"

I'm slowly convincing myself more and more on the 550's mainly because i can get them for around $160 and it wont burn a hole in my pocket. 

K, ive been thinking.
X1 (for $250) vs AKG 550's ($165)
Which one do you think i should go for. 

You can find class A Bravo V1/V2/V3 tube amps pretty cheap (on amazon currently for $82-93). The Bravo Ocean is only $120. I got my Bravo V3 on sale for $64. I have it paired w/ the HE400 and it's working very well. I've heard you'll get better results if you swap out the stock tube with something nicer, but I've been too lazy as it sounds fine to me now.

I've never heard the X1, but damn the K550 for $165 is a niiice deal. I would go for that!

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 12
  You can find class A Bravo V1/V2/V3 tube amps pretty cheap (on amazon currently for $82-93). The Bravo Ocean is only $120. I got my Bravo V3 on sale for $64. I have it paired w/ the HE400 and it's working very well. I've heard you'll get better results if you swap out the stock tube with something nicer, but I've been too lazy as it sounds fine to me now.

I've never heard the X1, but damn the K550 for $165 is a niiice deal. I would go for that!

Where did you buy your amp from? That seems ike a great price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back