Headphone suggestions
Apr 3, 2017 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

cgi1775

New Head-Fier
I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I think I have read to many reviews and such ahaha
etysmile.gif
I need a bit of guidance for a new purchase . I will be using the headphones off of a play station 4.connected with either a mixamp pro or the mixamp pro tr providing I find a good deal through Ebay.
I am looking for a quality open back headphone for mostly gaming, movies and some music . As far as gaming goes my preferred go to game is fps like Battlefield 1, but I do play other types like The Witcher etc.
I dont want to pay the premium price for a "gaming' headset and I know I can get a better sounding headphone for the price of a gaming headset and it will sound better and last longer.
I have looked at everything from hd 558 598, the ad 900x etc.
Im looking to spend up to 150 ebay bucks for a gently used set.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 22
  I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I think I have read to many reviews and such ahaha
etysmile.gif
I need a bit of guidance for a new purchase . I will be using the headphones off of a play station 4.connected with either a mixamp pro or the mixamp pro tr providing I find a good deal through Ebay.
I am looking for a quality open back headphone for mostly gaming, movies and some music . As far as gaming goes my preferred go to game is fps like Battlefield 1, but I do play other types like The Witcher etc.
I dont want to pay the premium price for a "gaming' headset and I know I can get a better sounding headphone for the price of a gaming headset and it will sound better and last longer.
I have looked at everything from hd 558 598, the ad 900x etc.
Im looking to spend up to 150 ebay bucks for a gently used set.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I like the three you list. I would add the Philips SHP9500S and Fidelio X1 (used). My preference of the three you outlined is the HD598. It has a great soundstage and good detail. But so does the 558, so there. The AD900X has a good stage as well. The 9500S sounds terrific. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 22
Thank you for the reply. I have been leaning towards the 598. Side note I have seen a thread somewhere about the tritton 720+ decoder box. Any idea in comparison to the mixamp

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 22
I use a Philips Fidelio X2, found one on the bay for around your max range. You can add a vmoda boom mic easily to the setup. I have a rather large head and it's super comfy, ymmv. Good luck with your search!

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 22
  I use a Philips Fidelio X2, found one on the bay for around your max range. You can add a vmoda boom mic easily to the setup. I have a rather large head and it's super comfy, ymmv. Good luck with your search!

+1
What do you think of the soundstage of them

sound stage with the bass response of the X1/X2 is very nice,and quite a rare combo.

I use an X1+ModMic+Mixamp Pro 2013 thru my PS4.

At one time I had:

DT770
DT990
HD600
X1

Kept the X1 for gaming duty only...if it were to be used for music I might have picked differently,but for gaming only it was a pretty easy decision...DT990 would be second.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 22
Sound stage is big. Biggest out of any headphones I currently own and the one I use for gaming. The bass is punchy, so it's a great set for movies and gaming.  For music, i prefer m HD6XX. But the level of enjoyment and comfort for gaming is excellent with the X2s.  I did see someone selling these on the For sale forums around your price range too. See if they're still around if you're considering these. 

Edit:
Just remembered you were wanting to use Ebay bucks, but let us know what you decide. Cheers!

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 22
It really depends on whether you plan on gaming competitively with the headphones. If you do, something like the HD598 with its huge soundstage or something cold like the AD900x will be prefered. If you just plan on enjoying the game then something with more bass like the Fidelio X2 will do just fine 

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 22
Haha not yet  I am torn between the x2 and hd 598. The x2 may not have the competitiveness of the hd but has a bit more fun factor. Tough decision . I am not to worried about a Mic, I know I can mode the hd easily . I pulled away from the 900x because of the cable. I am not sure if I would want to get into that mod to make a detachable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back