Headphone Suggestions
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EvenPrint

New Head-Fier
I am looking for hi-fi headphones probably in the $350 range if possible:

I have a high end custom made tube preamp & headphone amp. I listen to records via a turntable for the most part (90 %) as well as maybe 10% high sample rate audio via my dac. I also run an EQ as well thru my preamp's effects loop.

I am looking for comments from people who have a similar setups with tubes and listening to similar sources to comment.

Here is my headphone experience so far:

• Sennheiser HD 419's – I picked up a pair a while back on a quick whim in a store just to have something for quick listening at the time. To me they were very fatiguing with over emphasized bass and harsh highs. If this is a signature Sennheiser sound, it's not really for me.
  • AKG 240 II's – My friend had a pair for years in the studio via a high quality solid state preamp...I preferred my old Sony MDR-7502's. Sound was thin on AKG's and I felt I preferred the Sony's closed back / more tighter sound I got out of them.
  • As far as electrostatic is concerned, I had a high end pair of hybrid speakers I used in a previous system at home. I seem to prefer cone drivers on speakers. My hybrids did a tremendous job on a live acoustic sound but when throwing hard rock thru the planar mids and some hard hitting classical, the cones just did the trick for me. I don't know how (or if this experience even DOES translate to headphones at all, etc.)

Anyways, most of the classical music I listen to is violin romance and piano sonatas. I also enjoy operas. David Oistrakh, Chopin, Rachmaninov, Delibes, Debussy, Wagner. Jazz is mostly Buddy Rich Band, and guitar guys like Al Dimeola, Larry Carlton, George Benson. Rock gamut spans 60's, 70's soul and then into stuff like Morrissey, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, etc. Most of my headphone listening will be classical (70 percent I'd say at least).

What I'm gathering on here is that choices might be Q701's, HiFiMans, HD 650s etc. Again, I don't know if my negative (to my preference) AKG and Senn experience and electrostat/planar speaker experience translates into these following 'phones.

I could always take my preamp down to a place in the NYC area and listen to a bunch of cans as well.....I don't know if many people do this, etc.

Any ideas/opinons would be appreciated!

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 3
If you are in the NYC area it would be nice to audition many different kinds phones with your setup before you commit to a buy. I wouldn't say the HD419 speaks for Sennheiser. I currently listen to the HD650s out of a Bottlehead Crack tube amp and they pair exceptionally well. The Crack is designed for HPs with an impedance over 150 Ohm but since I don't know the output specs on your tube amp I can't comment. My guess is that the HD650s will pair nicely with a tube amp. I love the HD650s warmer sound for classical. The mids are wonderful rendering string instruments very well. I also feel the HD650s has a large, accurate soundstage.

The AKG Q701s have a wider soundstage but less accurate. The Q701s have difficulty imaging in forward direction and, IMO, sound better on a SS. Unlike the HD650s, the Q701s are a little bass anemic which was a negative for me. The HD650 bass is in no way over powering but rather accurate, quick, and textured. In the short time I had both the LCD-2s and the HD650s I choose the HD650s which should say something...

I'm pretty new to the head-fi thing but in the limited experience I have I tend to prefer dyanmics over planar magnetic for classical. Dynamics seem to provide more air in the high end which is especially important for any woodwinds. As for electrostatics, I have limited experience with them. The Stax SR009 sounds incredible with anything; of course, if you are going to spend close to ten grand on a headphone setup they better.

Just my 2 cents, I love the HD650s. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back