Superpang

Head-Fier
Hey, I am currently looking for some open headphones that are :
(In order of importance)

- Detail
- Soundstage
- Bass

Price is anywhere below 300 USD.

I had the DT990 in mind, but... I want to hear more opinions. Thanks!
Also my primary music currently is rock and pop.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 13
I think the AKG K701 is the winner here with your priorities, with a good amp, you'll achieve the bass nicely too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 13
O I got a Little Dot Mk1 as an amp. I "hope" that I won't need to buy another amp.... Thanks for the inputs

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Well it will be pretty much up to you, I mean some are happy with their Little Dot Mk1's, driving something like the HD 650. But then again, one might argue it's an amp too small for headphones like that, and you might be wasting money when buying headphones that the amp can't make truly shine. But as I said, it is all up to you
smily_headphones1.gif

I once drove my HD 650 with a Meier-Audio CORDA PORTA Mk3, and I was happy, but boy if I'd known back then, what the HD 650 sound like with the CORDA OPERA
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once drove my HD 650 with a Meier-Audio CORDA PORTA Mk3, and I was happy, but boy if I'd known back then, what the HD 650 sound like with the CORDA OPERA
biggrin.gif

Just don't forget how happy you where then, I think too many people here forget that's just how happy someone new to amps/headphones is going to be. Yes it can be better, but even a little amp like that can give some serious fun. And it's almost always heaps better than where they came from.

FWIR the DT990 does pretty much what you want. not so sure about the soundstage but should be decent and they can sound bright but with a lot of bass. I found the mids to be a little lower than the rest though.
HD600/650 fits this requirements also, and I feel they are more balanced than what I've heard with the DT990. and good thing is: they sound good now but will get better with better amping later.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 13
I'll provide more support for the AKG701 with two caveats:

1. The recessed mids bothered me for rock based on electric guitars. However, I think they do an amazing job on acoustic or live music, and would be great for folk.
2. You might need a slightly more powerful amp to get enough bass out of it. How much bass do you like?

However, I can't think of a better set of cans for soundstage and detail, so I'll toss in my support for the 701s.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 13
I was thinking of getting the K701 before, but I heard it's not as fun as other headphones, and I am a bit worry on the bass part.

Currently I have the D2000 and I find the bass just enough (No mods).

I heard that the new DT990 had simliar highs and detail as the K701 with a bit more bass.

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I have the D2000 and I find the bass just enough (No mods).

Oh, ookay that changes things. I'm a D2000 owner too, and I know how much these babies pack bass, especially unmodded I guess. AFAIK the DT 990 have more bass than the K701, but they come a tiny bit behind in the details and the soundstage. But, I haven't spent much time with the DT 990, so I won't swear by this, could also be an amp related difference.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah I don't really mind losing abit of detail and soundstage for a bump in the bass department. That's why I was thinking of getting the DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back