Headphone suggestions in the £50 to £100 range.
Oct 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Matt0201

New Head-Fier
HI I'm looking for some headphones in the £50 to £100 price range for use with my Macbook Air/iPod/iPad.  These will only be used at home almost exclusively for listening to music but with the possibility of gaming use, although gaming sound quality isn't that much of a concern to me.

While I enjoy a large selection of musical genres I tend to favour the following artists and genres;

Progressive Rock (The Mars Volta, early King Crimson, Jethro Tull)
Post-Rock (This Will Destroy You, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, A Silver Mount Zion, Explosions in the Sky) 
Delta Blues ( Son House, Little Walter)
and artists such as: Animal Collective/Panda Bear, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jaga Jazzist, Omar Rodriguez Lopez, Ratatat, Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd, Battles, Hella/Zach Hill, Seasick Steve.

As you can tell enhanced Bass isn't overly important to me as I wouldn't want it to distract from small subtleties typical of larger ensembles. That being said I don't want Kick Drums to sound muffled.

Edit: It may be worth noting that I mainly listen to Apple Lossless and 320kbps.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 8
I may sound repetitive, but in that price range I recommend you to try the Koss Pro DJ100 with M50 pads or the Fostex T50RP (about 120 quid in UK) or any of the Grado line.

Another options: Sony ZX700 or Goldring DR150

Most of them can be bought in british online shops with returning option if you don't like them.

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Ive been reading a bunch of reviews and threads on various headphones for the past few days and it got me thinking is it worth buying something like the Panasonic RP-HTF600E-S to use at the moment and upping my budget in a few months time?

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Heya,

I'd go for something like a Shure SRH840 

Why not consider the Shure's? they are pretty good on the genres listed. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 8
the goldring dr-150's mentioned above are good especially for the uk prices i use them now they only cost £40 ish so would allow you to save some money for your you next cans, theyre comfortable too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back