Headphone Suggestions for HE-560 upgrade
Dec 13, 2016 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Stewardess2

New Head-Fier
I've owned the HE-560 for 2  years now, and thinking of an upgrade.
I found the mids of the HE-560 to be a little dry, and the highs  just a tad bit peaky. My preferences of sound signature would still be called neutral, though it may be on the dark(or warm?) side of it. The HD-600 with resolute sub-bass and wider soundstage would be an ideal sounding headphone for me.

Any suggestions?

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 21
I found the mids of the HE-560 to be a little dry, and the highs  just a tad bit peaky. My preferences of sound signature would still be called neutral, though it may be on the dark(or warm?) side of it. The HD-600 with resolute sub-bass and wider soundstage would be an ideal sounding headphone for me.

Any suggestions?

Maybe an Ether Flow

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 21

Any suggestions?

Have you tried pad rolling with the 560?  I found a warm amp with Focus A pads alleviated the problems I had with the highs.

Dec 13, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 21
I have the focus-a pads on with the Gustard H10 amp. What amp are you using it on?

I used my 560 on a Lyr 2. It's a warm and dynamic amp that I think paired really well with the 560.

You can also try some dampening between the driver and earpads. Some type of cloth like a small cutout of a paper towel or toilet paper can help. I've seen people cut cotton balls in half and use those to great effect on the 400i.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 21
If you can find a decent second hand pair, consider the HE-6. With a tube amp, you'll get the warmth you're after, and everything else is a significant upgrade to the HE560.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 21
The HE-6 is the logical upgrade,however im not sure its going to be "darker" than the HE-560.
Two other obstacles to consider with the HE-6 are:

Difficulty to drive...its pretty much universally agreed to be the hardest headphone on the planet to drive correctly.

Difficulty to find...people seem to be hanging onto theirs.I just bought a pair myself,which has yet to arrive.I posted in the FST area and didnt get an offer for one for nearly a month and that seller wanted way too much for a very "dodgy" pair. Took another two weeks to find a seller in Europe willing to sell his,so its somewhere between Latvia and New York as we speak.

Someone else suggested an Ether Flow,which I have not heard myself so I cannot say yes or no,but a pre fazor LCD-2 or LCD-3 might work.
I think the LCD-2 would be more of a complimentary headphone or sidegrade to the 560,offering a different sound to what youre used to,much more sub bass response,more mid-bass,rolled off treble for a relaxed sound....though I find the mid range to not be as breathtaking as my HE-500s,more 2-D and linear than the HE-500...but then again the 500s have probably the best mids Ive ever heard.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 21
The he-6, he500 and Ether flow all have their own treble issues with brightness. The he-6 and 500 both need mods (and in the case of he6, a very powerful and good pairing amp to drive them).

So all of these lead to a significant monetary investment that may not even be able to fix the issues the OP is having with the 560.

I'd still recommend trying some dampening and THEN look into a new headphone. IMO the 500 and Ether are both about on par with a 560 when properly amped. The he6 could probably take him farther but not without significant investment in both headphone and upstream gear.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 21
The he-6, he500 and Ether flow all have their own treble issues with brightness. The he-6 and 500 both need mods (and in the case of he6, a very powerful and good pairing amp to drive them).

So all of these lead to a significant monetary investment that may not even be able to fix the issues the OP is having with the 560.

I'd still recommend trying some dampening and THEN look into a new headphone. IMO the 500 and Ether are both about on par with a 560 when properly amped. The he6 could probably take him farther but not without significant investment in both headphone and upstream gear.

I disagree with the HE-500 needing mods to tame treble.Mine is completely stock and have zero issue with the treble...Perhaps the HE-560 does,i understand its a more analytical headphone than the 500. 

The Ether Flow as I said above I havent heard so I cant comment on it.

The consensus on the HE-6 is the treble issue comes from under driving them,which based upon stats many who arent using speaker taps are indeed under-driving them.But I do agree the HE-6 isnt just about the headphone itself for it to reach its full potential.

EDIT: i was not suggesting OP pick up a pair of HE-500s as an upgrade to the 560,rather using it to compare to the LCDs

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 21
I disagree with the HE-500 needing mods to tame treble.Mine is completely stock and have zero issue with the treble...Perhaps the HE-560 does,i understand its a more analytical headphone than the 500. 

The Ether Flow as I said above I havent heard so I cant comment on it.

The consensus on the HE-6 is the treble issue comes from under driving them,which based upon stats many who arent using speaker taps are indeed under-driving them.But I do agree the HE-6 isnt just about the headphone itself for it to reach its full potential.

The mid treble on the 500 can be a bit hot, some jerg modded pads (or I guess even focus A pads) help a lot as does the amp pairing. My point was that the OP could be trading one issue out for another that needs light modding. Might as well try some different things out with the 560 for dirt cheap before spending hundreds to thousands on a new setup.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 21
The mid treble on the 500 can be a bit hot, some jerg modded pads (or I guess even focus A pads) help a lot as does the amp pairing. My point was that the OP could be trading one issue out for another that needs light modding. Might as well try some different things out with the 560 for dirt cheap before spending hundreds to thousands on a new setup.

I have a mod to fix the "hot mid treble" on the 500s...its called 51 year old hearing 
smily_headphones1.gif
....perhaps it is a thing,but I have no problem with them,whereas the DT770 thru an OTL amp absolutely killed my ears.

Im not saying modding the 560s isnt the solution,im just offering OP some suggestions to look into,because at the end of the day,some of us get tired of the same headphone after awhile and want to try something else entirely...and modding can only change a headphone so much.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 21
I have a mod to fix the "hot mid treble" on the 500s...its called 51 year old hearing :) ....perhaps it is a thing,but I have no problem with them,whereas the DT770 thru an OTL amp absolutely killed my ears.

Im not saying modding the 560s isnt the solution,im just offering OP some suggestions to look into,because at the end of the day,some of us get tired of the same headphone after awhile and want to try something else entirely...and modding can only change a headphone so much.

Well Beyer treble is a whole other mountain of issues, haha. You could also have picked a great amp to pair with the 500 as well or the mid treble bump doesn't bother your ears as much. For example, a bump at 6k isn't so bad to my ears as much as a bump at 9k.

The 500 could be something worth looking into, the mids are certainly more inviting than on a stock 560.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Well Beyer treble is a whole other mountain of issues, haha. You could also have picked a great amp to pair with the 500 as well or the mid treble bump doesn't bother your ears as much. For example, the bump at 6k isn't so bad to my ears as much as a bump at 9k.

The 500 could be something worth looking into, the mids are certainly more inviting than on a stock 560.

IDK if the 500 would be an "upgrade" to the 560,considering the 560 came afterwards and was supposed to be a "new and improved" HE-500.I admittedly have never heard the 560 but from what ive read theyre not very similar....but the mids on the 500 are stunning.

I think the pre-fazor LCD series would be a distinct contrast to what OP is used to....however whether or not a sidegrade or true upgrade is what OP is after isnt entirely clear.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 21
HE1000?

Easier to drive than an HE6.  
If you were willing to deal with driving the HE6, then I'd say HE6.  A proper amp to drive them and the HE6 itself could probably be had for less than an HE1000V2

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 21

Yes and I am looking into TP mods right now and gonna give it a go

IDK if the 500 would be an "upgrade" to the 560,considering the 560 came afterwards and was supposed to be a "new and improved" HE-500.I admittedly have never heard the 560 but from what ive read theyre not very similar....but the mids on the 500 are stunning.

I think the pre-fazor LCD series would be a distinct contrast to what OP is used to....however whether or not a sidegrade or true upgrade is what OP is after isnt entirely clear.

True upgrade by your words would be what I'm after. Based on reviews the HE 1000 attracts me most, though my wallet says otherwise... Would have to listen to the LCDs myself, as I agree with you that they would be different to what I'm used to and can't get to conclusions by just reading reviews

Users who are viewing this thread

Back