Headphone Suggestion
Sep 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KopiISme

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I have a pair of ATH-M50s and they were not as good as what everyone was saying... I expected much more especially for the price tag.  I had a pair of Shure 448 I loved them but there was not as much bass and it was really uncomfortable.  I was wondering if there are any other suggestions out there with more bass, without drowning out the mids.  Budget is 180ish, I mainly listen to electronica, classic rock, alternative, hip hop. I will be mainly using them at work where I sit at a desk.  Powering it will be a Sansa Clip+ with a E6, thanks in advanced!

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 11
You could try "Rockboxing" the Sandisk Sansa Clip +, the Rockbox might give you some options for tweaking the audio while using the ATH-M50s.
I'm guessing you might need to give up a little on the bass, to improve the mids.

Check out the JVC HA-S500 folding headphones, sells for under $60.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Sansa clip+ is rockbox'd i should of mentioned that lol, Just as you said though, I lost some bass, there was a noticeable difference overall though after some tedious tweaking

Hmm just saw those, I am looking for something that covers the entire ear as well

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 11
  Sansa Clip+ is Rockboxed I should of mentioned that lol, Just as you said though, I lost some bass, there was a noticeable difference overall though after some tedious tweaking
Hmm just saw those, I am looking for something that covers the entire ear as well

Right now I have no ideas on any headphones that would fit what you are looking for.

Denon AH-D2000 should provide the sound you want, but do not fold, might not be tough enough for traveling and are twice your budget.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 11
I dont think I would mind if it does not fold up, I can always get a case for it.  Its not like its getting thrown around either.  Just a couple folders and my headphones, goes from the house to the car to my desk

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Kinda narrowed my searches down to these... by scouring through the forums... looking for a great mid range 

AKG K 240 MK II 
Audio Technica ATH-WS55
Sony MDR7506
V-MODA Crossfade LP 

Either that, or should I just keep my M50s and just mess with the EQ more

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 11
  Kinda narrowed my searches down to these... by scouring through the forums... looking for a great mid range 
AKG K 240 MK II 
Audio Technica ATH-WS55
Sony MDR7506
V-MODA Crossfade LP 
Either that, or should I just keep my M50s and just mess with the EQ more

I own the K242HD, which do not have a lot of bass, so I'm assuming the K240 MKII are the same,
but they are decently good over all music headphones.

I believe the MDR-V6s are considered a little more bassy, then the 7605.
I prefer my JVC HA-S500s over my MDR-V6s

Not knowledge enough about the other headphones.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 11
So I decided to try to mess with the EQ again, put everything back to defaults, the played with it one by one.. and wow such a big difference, I dont know what I did last time but it certainly wasint right.  Im picking up a pair of the JVC HA-S500 for when Im on the go.  I decided to keep the M50s, I actucally like them a lot now that the EQ settings were changed.  Thanks for your help PureAngel!

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 11
  How is the durability on the JVC HA-S500

I think it's about as durable as you can get for something designed to be as light as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back