Headphone suggestion
Jun 5, 2010 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dagothur

1000+ Head-Fier
So, this is my first post here and I'm looking to upgrade from my JVC Rx-900s.  I'm a portable user, and listen almost primarily to death metal.  I'd like to get a portable amp with it to save power and (maybe?) add some nice quality to my music.  An audiophile friend of mine recommended getting ATH-M50s and a Cmoy or FiiO E5 amp with it.  I thought I would go to head-fi to find some good advice because I know you folks know your stuff.
Here's a basic rundown of what I want:
Nice bass
Good clarity
Comfortable
Low impedance
Around $100
Good for death metal
Please avoid using terms that only somebody with HD800s and a $2,000 amp would know.  I'm by far not an audiophile and it would just confuse me.
Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 5
Do you need closed 'phones? If you don't, go with the Grado SR60/80 or the Alessandro MS-1.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Mr. Joboto is pointing you in a good direction, I think.

If you don't need to isolate yourself from what's going on around you, some Grados/Alessandros are a great choice for metal, and are really easy to drive (wouldn't necessarily even need a cheap portable amp).  The only issue might be comfort--some people just can't get used to how the Grados feel on the head.

If you're going to be listening in loud/public places, the M50s are a popular choice lately.  

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 5
So I did a frequency response chart for the M50s, Grado sr80s, Sennheiser 280s and Denon 1001k which were some popular suggestions.  I couldn't find a chart for the Alessandro MS-1.

The M50s and Sennheiser 280s seem to be my best choices out of these four.  Post a frequency response chart for the Alessandros if you can find it.

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Keep in mind that rock usually doesn't have bass that dives really, really deep.  Only electronica has bass that heads down into that range.  In fact, the majority of the bass in rock is probably right where the Senns dive below the Denons and Grados at 50-100 hz.

The Allessandros are basically rebranded Grados, so they have the same frequency chart.

The real point here, though, is that you shouldn't go by frequency graphs.  Not only do they not tell the whole story, but they also tend to be misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back