Headphone suggestion please :)
Mar 15, 2006 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

icefroz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to this posting on this forums but has been a long time lurker
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a headphone for use with various uses. I will be using it with my Ipod Nano (PA2V2 coming in the post). I listen to a lot of Progressive/Epic/Melodic Metal such as Rhapsody, Nocturnal Rites, Sonata Arctica, Thy Majestie (There must be somebody on hear with similar taste
wink.gif
)

I will also be using it with my laptop (again through PA2V2) for music, gaming and also DVD watching from time to time both at home and while travelling.

My budget would be around 100 to 150 british pounds ($260 I think) while I can push a little further (sorry wallet
icon10.gif
) and if its available in the UK then it would be great. There is also an audio shop here (Basingstoke) which do stock Sennheisers and Grados.

Any recommendation please? Thanks in advance.
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Quite a few views but no reply... Maybe Im doing something wrong?

I have read through further on the forums and there seems to be a lot of recommendation for the Audio Technica A900.. but that one isnt available locally and ordering them will surely means paying extra for import taxes
rolleyes.gif

I am considering the Sennheiser HD555 or Grado SR-80 or SR-125 at the moment. Are these the correct choice for the purpose Im looking for?

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Welcome to Team Head-Fi UK
smily_headphones1.gif

Thing is, "at home and while travelling" causes problems.

If you separate the problem between "inside" and "on the go" then it's a clearer situation. The IEMs I have aren't good enough for home use but the home kit I have is too big and open for public use (i.e. you'll look strange and everyone on bus will hate you unless they like your music as much as you do
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I spent £90 on used HD600s and £90 on a used Total Bithead; I use those for listening at home on laptop and iPod.

While I'm outside, I use Sony EX71 IEMs on my iPod (£22.99 Amazon.co.uk, £30ish from Dixons).

A cheaper option would be HD555 (£75 new on internet) or HD595 (£99.99 richer sounds, I got them for £75 used on head-fi trade forums) - 50 ohm versions will work unamped.

So you could have HD595 and EX71s in budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Laptop will likely have really bad "hissing" and poor quality sound - the Total Bithead fixes that because it's also an external USB soundcard
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 6
If you want to stay amp free (for now
very_evil_smiley.gif
) the HD 595s are really nice. (As a bonus, these should really improve with an amp down the line.) I also think that you should go and audition some Grados if you have the time. As far as Grados go, the SR-60s are really fun. I guess I feel like the SR-60 gives you more bang for the buck (relative to the SR-80) unless you already have or plan on getting an amp.

You might also think about IEMs. I think that the ER-4p/s, E4c, and super.fi 5pro are all excellent home & portable options -- though you'd need to shop around to force them into your budget. Also (this is a little over-the-top) you might think about the Stax SR-001. It's electrostatic, in-ear, and priced just about within your budget. The SR-003 has been getting some good attention recently, which speaks well for the SR-001's "total package."

Hope something in there helped.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all the reply

Senny - Yes I guess the complete solution is where the trouble was
smily_headphones1.gif
. I (stupidly) failed to mention that I already have Sennheiser PX100 which I use while travelling, working in office and in the gym so using it as portable is less of an issue comparing to using at home. I will be looking at the Total Bithead which you have mentioned (I knew I shouldnt have joined this forums
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

angler31337 - HD595 seems like a really nice option too. I will be listening unamp at the moment (well except when PA2V2 arrive) since the amp I inherited from my brother doesnt have a headphone jack.. but im looking to make an upgrade soonish (ie. when I have the money). I dont like the IEMs as much personally (destroyed 2 pairs of EX-71 over the pass 2 years
evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back