Headphone suggestion ($400-$600)
Jan 4, 2016 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

david8090

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Best wishes for 2016!!

I'm sorry in advance for being lazy here. I haven't done any research at this point, though I know exactly what I want. 

For 2 years I am using my Shure SE535 IEM every day and I am still in love with them. Even had the SE846 for 1 week but returned them because for me they didn't satisfy me completely. For me they were the same as the SE535 with a big amount of extra bass which actually suppresses the mids. Where I sometimes wish the SE535 had more bass, the SE846 often had too much. Anyway... I made a detailed review if you look at my started topics.

Because I am using the SE535 mostly in public transit and occasionally at home, I am looking for a full size headphone just to use at home. I started with the ath-m50x but they just didn't impress me and I gave them to my brother (yes they're great bang for the buck).

So hopefully you guys can help me out here. I am willing to spend anywhere between $400-$600 and another $100-$200 for a proper AMP that will improve SQ for my Shures as well.

I am mainly listening to:

* 70's and 80's music (classic rock, vocals, instrumentals)
* classical 

Furthermore I am looking for a comfy headphone with an over-the-ear design. Sound that really takes your breath with a decent amount of bass and supreme mids and semi-high.

Will the Sennheiser HD 650 be my best bet? Or shall I look for something else? It really has to outperform my Shures and I'm afraid most full-size headphones aren't as intense as IEM's...

Please do me some suggestions! 

Thanks a lot!!

Best,

David

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Kicking my old topic cause I still haven't bought any full size HP yet. 

It might be subjective.. but can you actually compare IEM to a full size HP? For example.. The SE535 vs. the HD600? Someone once said that IEM's are like laptops: you pay more for the same configuration but just smaller and more comfortable and portable than a full size desktop PC. Bs, no?

Would the HD600 impress more than a more expensive IEM just because it's bigger? Would there actually be any reason to listen to IEM when you're on the couch at home?

Hope someone can gives his opinion about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back