Headphone suggestion (~$200)...
Nov 9, 2006 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

santiu

Head-Fier
Hey all.

Looking to upgrade to a new pair of headphones in the near future, and I'm wondering if you have a suggestion. I currently listen to Sr-60's and HD280Pro's. Also had a pair of HD485s for a bit.

I love the grados. Really the only part about the HD280Pro's i like is the isolation (I actually bought them to use for recording, not really enjoying music). Didn't like the HD485's at all, flabby and boring sounding to me.

So given that I'm looking at the following headphones:
Grado SR-225
AKG K 601
AKG K 271s
Sennheiser HD-595
STAX SR-001

All of them being around $200 which is about how much i'm willing to spend (stax is a bit more, but that's okay since I would get an amp to drive the other ones anyways). These will be used at work, so it would be nice if they don't leak too much. It's a consideration, but I use the SR-60's now without any problems so it's not that big of a deal. Comfort is a big deal since i wear them for several hours at a time. Contrary to many though, I find my SR-60's to be comfortable.

I listen to pretty much everything except for rap, so the headphones need to be versatile. However, i'd say the majority of my listening is Rock and Jam-band music.

thanks a bunch for any suggestions
eggosmile.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 4
If you find the SR 60 comfortable and the leak not an issue, and you like the sound signature, I think you should stick to team grado and go for the SR225.

Even though lot of ppl say the HD595's are more open and forward sounding that other sennheisers, I dont think they will compare in those regards with the Grados especially when you are already accustomed to the grado sound.
Dunno anything abt the other cans u have mentioned

Anyways, this is just speculation
rolleyes.gif
, think someone who has an SR225 shud be able to give u better advice.

NP: Aftershock - Anthrax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back