Headphone Static from Motherboard
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SPLWF

100+ Head-Fier
TL;DR: Motherboard possibly causing static on Asgard 2 but not on Little Dot 1+

I recently just purchased a Schiit Asgard 2 to help improve my audio experience. Before installing the Asgard 2, my setup is:

Gigabyte AM4 Gaming K5 motherboard
Ryzen 5 1600
AMD RX 56 Vega
Corsair 700w
etc....you don't really need to know the rest.

So my audio setup is:

Dragonfly Black w/ Jitter Bug leaving via 3.5mm to RCA input into the rear of my Little Dot 1+. With this setup, there's no static whatsoever, volume turned all the way up, dead air, the way it's supposed to be.

I removed my Little Dot 1+ and put the Asgard 2 in it's place. Static is heard on headphone at 10'o clock and above, get way worse as volume is cranked.

I updated MB BIOS, as well as updated Realtek audio drivers, still has static. I even tried eliminating the DFB and plugged directly to the MB green audio port, still has static. I also tried this way with the Little Dot 1+, no static.

I got my laptop and plugged my DFB directly to it with my Asgard 2 connected, NO Static (this tactic eliminates any or possible Ground Loop). So now I'm wondering What is going on? Does the DFB not filter out EMI? Or does my Motherboard produce that much EMI that it effects the USB ports and audio ports? I even tried to attenuate the USB signal by adding 10ft extension, no change.

Will EMI effect Toslink as well? Sadly I don't have anything to test the Toslink as my DAC is the DFB. So now I'm wondering, have I always had static but it wasn't noticeable because maybe Vacuum tubes absorb static noises?

I see that all things point to my MB but in order to test out the Toslink, I need a DAC with a Toslink, like Schiit Modi or Bifrost. I'm stuck and this noise is annoying the heck out of me.

I know most of Audiophile's use their PC as a source for their music, so has anyone came across my issue?

Thanks in advance :)

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Does you case have a front panel audio input? Try unplugging EVERYTHING (yes, even the USB, the ground strap if there is one, etc,etc) from the front panel and see if the problem goes away.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

I also took a $20 gamble and purchased a Fiio D3 DAC w/ Toslink hookup. I want to test it out before I make big purchases

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 4
After doing extensive testing I have discovered that my mother board only has USB 3.0/3.1/3.1A. So no USB 2.0. The excessive power from the USB3 and above is causing noise on anything plugged into the USB ports that is audio related. I tried a powered USB 2.0 HUB, no change because it's getting power bleed off from the port and it's powered by a AC adapter.

I tried my Fiio D3 that just came in, they say a USB port can power this device. So I plugged it into the USB 3.0 port only to discover their was noise on the Toslink as well, talk about bleeding power. I then used the provided power adapter that came with the D3, Noise is GONE!

So, my motherboard just lacked USB 2.0 ports. They only way to get USB 2.0 ports is to connect to the USB 2.0 header on the MB itself (yes it has headers but not ports).

So right now, I can't use my Dragonfly Black. I guess I'll be rocking this Fiio D3 and test it's $20 dollarness compared to a $99 USB DAC. I'm probably going to get a Schiit Bifrost but before I do I'll enjoy this D3 for now.

Thanks all that has helped :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back