Headphone/Soundcard Noise
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eidahl

New Head-Fier
I currently use my onboard sound for my headphones and seem to be getting a lot of crackling / beep-like noises. The strange thing is that the crackling increases whenever I click on things and open programs.. it's completely random.

It does this for any headphones and I've tried it using an old soundcard for the headphones and it still does these noises ( the headphones work fine on other computers). Any ideas?
confused.gif

EDIT: I'm using the nforce audio onboard sound.. ( Realtek AC97 I believe).
I've tried both the nvidia audio driver / realtek drivers, same thing.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Decent sound card would solve the problem. Integrated and cheap cards generate lot of noise and pick up interference. You can also try to update drivers and change sound cards IRQ (there could be conflict).

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 9
i had the same kind of problems. i got a good soundcard (xfi music). moved it as far away from video card as possible. then mod the card for improved sound. its amazing how much better this setup is than my mp3 player.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eidahl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently use my onboard sound for my headphones and seem to be getting a lot of crackling / beep-like noises. The strange thing is that the crackling increases whenever I click on things and open programs.. it's completely random.

It does this for any headphones and I've tried it using an old soundcard for the headphones and it still does these noises ( the headphones work fine on other computers). Any ideas?
confused.gif

EDIT: I'm using the nforce audio onboard sound.. ( Realtek AC97 I believe).
I've tried both the nvidia audio driver / realtek drivers, same thing.

stay away from the on board sound cards, they are evil~~~~~
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

but anyway, yes, get any decent sound card would solve the problem

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 9
increasing buffer size in the soundcard driver is a much cheaper solution

drop outs are a consequence of the operating system not sending enough data quickly enough to the soundcard to cover up for timeouts spent servicing video, hard drive, ect

on board soundcards can still be poor, I hear noise (hiss) even when the music is continuous with my RealTech motherboard chipset

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 9
get a Chaintech AV-710 $22 at Newegg

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a Chaintech AV-710 $22 at Newegg

+1

Chaintech is a great value, just search the archives here for instructions on how to set it up correctly to use the higher quality Wolfson DAC chip on the card.

Onboard soundchips on motherboards are not for any kind of audio fidelity, they are there just to allow the motherboard noise/sound capability - go into the BIOS setup screen of the computer and turn the onboard sound chip off.

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Another alternative: buy an outboard digital-to-analog converter, and connect that to your computer's digital audio output. If you get one with a built-in headphone amp you only need the one box. There are many different ones available. I use a Benchmark DAC1 with both of my computers, and am quite pleased with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back