Headphone shops outside of Toronto
May 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DeatHaze

Head-Fier
Wats up guys, I'm trying to find some places that'll let me try out hifi headphones but I can't seem to find any stores that carry the brands I'm looking in to (Audio-Technica, Ultrasone). So I was wondering if any of you guys know of some good locations outside of Toronto (ie Brampton, Woodbridge, etc) where I could listen to some good phones, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

May 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 26
try a music supply store. they can have better prices than an audiophile place like bay bloor. even so, shop around.

look on the internet for: steves music,long and mcquade, pongetti music or something similar.
in general places that sell pro gear like guitars, mixing boards, etc. have headphones

here is an example: http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/43/filter

May 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 26
May 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 26
No offence but "Great customer service too." is an absolute joke. My experience is that those sales people do not know the products they push.

I once asked to see AKG headphones with detachable cables there about a year ago, and they told me there was no such product. I insisted and they did not relent. I wrote to AKG to complain (cc-ed BayBloor with no reply from them at all), and AKG sent me to another location. Incredible. Never again if there is any choice at all. LOL

May 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 26
MOOG AUDIO (442 Queen St West, Toronto) carries Ultrasone.

Steve's Music (415 Queen Street West, Toronto) has several Audio-Technica phones (including the M50), Shure SRH headphones and the M-Audio Q40. (Headphones are split into 2 parts of the store, a room near the front and a DJ section near the back)

Long & McQuade carries Beyerdynamic and AKG. 

Bay Bloor (55 Bloor Street West) has almost everything. 

All of the stores except for Long & McQuade let me their the headphones.

Good luck!

May 24, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 26
Steve's is pretty good. I have had good experiences there. Their people are willing to talk to customers, to share knowledge, and to price match too. For example, I was worried about comfort level of a headphone I was looking for because I wear glasses. They asked a guy who uses the cans for recording (many hours per day) who also happens to wear glasses to talk to me. He called back to my place the next day. Very nice. :)

I will try Moog.

May 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
No offence but "Great customer service too." is an absolute joke. My experience is that those sales people do not know the products they push.

I once asked to see AKG headphones with detachable cables there about a year ago, and they told me there was no such product. I insisted and they did not relent. I wrote to AKG to complain (cc-ed BayBloor with no reply from them at all), and AKG sent me to another location. Incredible. Never again if there is any choice at all. LOL

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that is not representative of mine. Not to mention, there is no better collection of headphones that I've come across in the country.

May 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 26
Bay Bloor does have excellent selection of Sennheisers and Denons that you probably won't find anywhere else close to this city.  I've gone there to demo headphones pretty regularly over the last few years.  I feel that their customer service is fine from few times I've dealt with them.  Do note that they do not carry too many AKG's at all (only K272, K181, and other lower end ones) so it's very well possible that they're not too familiar with their lineup of headphones.

I typically never buy from the place though because they're almost always more overpriced than other stores (I did buy the SE530 from them back when I was just getting into this hobby).  But it's a great place to demo for sure.

May 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 26
Bay Bloor Radio is awesome, great selection and I get discounts there :) Bring me along and I can get you a discounts on their phones.  Bay Bloor Radio sells AKG, Denon, Shure, Sennheiser, Grado, and Ultimate Ears.  I've also been to Long and Mcquade, they are pretty helpful and I know they sell Beyerdynamics, AKG, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio-Technica and some Sony.  If you're looking for Ultrasone, there's a place in Toronto called Trew Audio, however I have never been there.

May 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #12 of 26

I totally read the title as Headshops outside Toronto. 
blink.gif

May 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 26
baybloor is overpriced imo, however, the times i've been there, the staff seems quite knowledgable 

May 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 26
Ok kool I've been hearing alot about BBR and my buddy goes to Long and McQuade... but does anyone know of any shops further out the GTA because I don't wanna go all the way downtown just to try some headphones on ;P Otherwise I guess there is no choice.

Oooh another buddy suggested a place called Cosmo that's located in Richmond Hill (pretty far away) he said it was huge inside, any comments? Otherwise places closer to me would be nice instead of downtown locations but I guess thats where you gotta go to find the good stuff :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back