Headphone Shops In NY?
Apr 16, 2007 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GMF2010

500+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any store(s) in Manhattan that specialized in high end headphones. I would love to audition some of the higher end cans, this way I can justify (to myself at least) spending over 300 dollars on headphones. My main pairs of headphones/IEMs are ER4-P's, PX 200's, and D-66 Eggos, and recently the Sony Mdr-D777's although I'm not quite sure how I feel about them yet, first impressions aren't good. Before I take this "hobby" to the next level I would want to actually be able to listen to what I'm buying before I commit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 13
there's the iPod store with loads of tasty Bose to try.

Seriously, I looked in Manhattan and all I found were high end speaker shops with $400 Senn 600s.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Try J&R in the financial district - - not optimal conditions but a lot of cans: if I remember correctly everything is on a big wall and you have to listen to their music rather than anything you might bring; Innovative Audio (Sennheiser, I think); Sound by Singer and, maybe, Stereo Exchange, for Grado. The latter three are high-end salons and you can listen to your own cds.

You might call these places before you go, just to make sure they have what you're interested in.

Also, if you can get to the Home Entertainment Show 2007 at the Grand Hyatt (May 11-13), Elusive Disc is going to be there. They're a Stax dealer and might have some available for audition. You should e-mail them first to check, however.

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 13
Sound by Singer has a lot of Grado's hooked up to X-Cans V3s, and the sales people were very knowledgeable about what they were offering. Also, Lyric Hi-Fi has a large selection of high end Senn's and Grado's from the 325i and up. Needless to say, neither of these shops discount any of their products, so while it may be worth a demo there, you should stick to online shops whenever you want to buy.

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for this post, GMF2010. I'm gonna be in Manhattan in a few days and was hoping I'd have the chance to audition some good phones.

In addition to the shops mentioned above (none of which specializes in HPs), any other suggestions, folks? Thanks in advance.

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm also going to NYC soon and have searched a bit here for stores. One store in addition to the ones mingde has mentioned is Park Avenue Audio which seem to carry Grado with possibilities to audition, if you are interested in them. B&H photo have audio gear as well but I don't know if you're able to audition phones there.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 13
I was just at B&H - and while they have a HUGE selection, you can't audition any cans. I've also seen the big wall at J&R, but the cans are all plugged into the wall being fed by the same source and it's hard to know where that's coming from. Perhaps they'd let you pop in yr. own CD, I dunno.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 13
I wish we had a cool headphone store in the Seattle area - - the Mac stores around the area just aren't cutting it for me with those silly Bose displays. I really want to hear some of these cans you guys talk about but without having to buy anything, it's a real bummer.

Are there any high-end headphone stores near Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond?

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GMF2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main pairs of headphones/IEMs are ER4-P's, PX 200's, and D-66 Eggos, and recently the Sony Mdr-D777's although I'm not quite sure how I feel about them yet, first impressions aren't good.

Well, having owned/listened to all of those cans, I can understand how you're wondering about "the next level" of headphones. Honestly, you can get some experience listening in stores, but you're going to be far better off at a meet. If you're in Manhattan we should have a mini-meet. It's been ages since I've heard the D-66's and I'm curious as to what I would think about them now.

Incidentally, it's not surprising the initial impressions of the D777 aren't good. They're a very interesting headphone, but I tend to like funky/flawed headphones that many people wouldn't like much.
biggrin.gif

I think you have an awful lot to look forward to. The ER4P is an excellent IEM, but you haven't heard nothing yet.
biggrin.gif

Best regards,

-Jason

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 13
The Virgin megastore has some cans but none to try unless you count the dozen or so hd280s hooked up to zunes.

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound by Singer has a lot of Grado's hooked up to X-Cans V3s, and the sales people were very knowledgeable about what they were offering. Also, Lyric Hi-Fi has a large selection of high end Senn's and Grado's from the 325i and up. Needless to say, neither of these shops discount any of their products, so while it may be worth a demo there, you should stick to online shops whenever you want to buy.

I was in NY in late December 2006.
The mid range Grados distorted on the X-Cans and the tube amp was not on. None of the top range Grado stuff was there was in the Sound by Singer store.
As far as the knowledge in the store I am not sure that they would stack up to any closer scrutiny in this forum.

I did not see any serious high end store in NY, very disapointing and I did look hard. Even tried to get a chance to visit the guys at Grado but no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back