Headphone shoot out
Feb 14, 2010 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

parskey

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to head-fi! I have been lurking around for the better part of a month now and have been going back and forth on what I want to get(headphone wise). So to begin I really do like a very broad range of music to prattle off a few names: wax tailor, parov stellar, DJ Krush, MF Doom, Daedalus etc(if you find yourself so inclined homoillusio’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm). The bulk of what defines my taste is instrumentation and everything I listen to has trip hop roots. So I find it difficult to say whats important to me the bass is important and so are the mids and highs because I like the dance between the bass and details. So onto what I am looking into, my budget is 350 max, the stax sr-001mk2, akg 701/702, beyr dt770, beyr dt880, and the senn hd600. I would be using the phones at home out of my computer non-amped(for now) and possibly with my zune hd much of my recent music is flac and 256 or above mp3.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Checked out your last.fm, you would love closed phones. denon D2000? why would you want airy cans like HD600? you are not looking for naturality and soundstage, you want punch and sparkle :p

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Do you have a review you could point out because so far the only way I have been comparing them is based on frequency response graphs and the beyrs do better everywhere except the 1000-4000Hz range.
Edit: I looked around at some different thread on the d2000's and they sound pretty good but, the next question for me is are they worth the extra cash over the beyrs?

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 10
Quite possibly the Denons would be worth it for you if you're planning to use it directly with your computer hp jack.

Most of the ones you've listed are notoriously hard to drive well. I have a pair of the Beyer 990s, and they sound like completely different headphones out of a weak jack.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 10
well I would start to think about a amp next month when I am coming into some more spending money. I haven't really researched much yet but my preference from what i know now would be a RSA portable so I can enjoy it while out and about as well as while I am home. Also on a side note that is a major plus for the sr-001 seeing as it comes with the driver unit so its not really a concern about an amp plus I have read the mod threads which seem to suggest that the 001 is the best portable rig out there. I would say my use will be pretty even between home and portable use because I would rather just get a new set of speakers if my headphones will sound terrible when used with my zune.

Feb 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 10
A portable amp cannot drive the headphones that you've chosen nearly as well as a decent desktop amp. You'll lose the bottom end with the K701s, which I don't think you want; the 600s will sound more sluggish than they sound when driven well; and depending on which model of 880 you're looking at, you may end up disappointed; the baby Stax are great if you're sitting down, but not really made for walking around. You've also chosen some open and one closed headphone. I wouldn't want to use the open headphones when out of the house, but to each his own.

Do your research about what you need for the whole system, and budget for that, not just for the headphones, though you can certainly get the headphones now, and plan for system upgrades later. Just know what you're getting into before you invest your money.

Also, don't just believe every word you read here. Most people mean well, but don't be afraid to ask the people who are advising you how to spend your money if they've actually heard what they're recommending or dismissing, and don't be afraid to ask what other headphones, amps, etc. they've heard. It will save you money in the long run.

There was a thread around here a month or so ago about the best budget systems (not just headphones), that had some excellent recommendations. You might want to dig around and try and find it. There is also some general great advice from members in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...ewbies-419349/

Oh...and buying used is a great way to increase your bang-for-the-buck. Good luck and enjoy!

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 10
^^ X2.

If your budget is 350, then spend it on a card for your PC and phones that don't need an amp.

If you're thinking mostly portable, then do the same, and budget for a portable amp as you've indicated, but make sure they're easy to drive phones, that will scale up with a bit of power. All those phones you listed need extra quality components in the chain to deliver their potential, they aren't plug n play or cheapo portable amp products. They're certainly not portable either.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 10
First of all thanks for all the responses. I am leaning towards the d2000's but before I make my final decision I want to know what kind of investment would I need to make in an amp(full sized) to get the full bang out of the cans. Also seeing as pc is my main source should I get both a sound card and an amp? I have heard good things about the asus xonar st/stx does anyone know how well that would work also taking into consideration that the d2000's have a relatively low impedance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back