Headphone selection
Oct 16, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 27
Isolation is basically how well the headphones can keep sound in so the outside doesn't hear you, and how well they can keep other sounds out so you don't hear the outside.
biggrin.gif

That make sense? So if you're worrying about others being disturbed in the vicinity when you're gaming or playing "late night music" as you said, or them disturbing you, isolation would be an important factor in choosing whether you need open or closed phones.

You said "closed/open does not matter", so I assume you already know what you need and the term was what had you stumped.

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 27
If you buy at Fry's, you have 30 days to return the cans if you don't like them (or excjhange them)

I auditioned all the Sony's there and preferred the MDR380's over the V6's (the V6 pinched my head, felt heavy, sounded bassy, with recessed midranges and harsh highs) - will be uncomfortable after an hour, while the Mdr380's fit nice, felt light, had beautiful, wonderfully, feeling pads, and weren't as bassy as the V6's).

for gaming, try the mdr380's ($60 at Circuit City).

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD570's for $40 and they're going back as soon as my Grado SR80's come in.

for me, i wanna hear the 'snick' in the reload, the 'crack' in thunder and the 'snap' in glass breaking - really sharp transients. unfortunately the HD570's don't do that.

other than the SR80, i'm thinking of the Sennheiser 580's ($160) or the AKG AK501's (minimul bass boom) and a Meta42 head amp.

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 27
Question still stands. I have no worry about returning these phones, so I'd prefer to purchase online. Tried pricewatch, but it's ignorant to MDR-V6's. So where's the best price?

EDIT: Update, found them for 75 shipped no tax from etronics. There a better price yet? BTW MDR-V600 is same as MDR-V6 right?

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 27
Try shopping.yahoo.com. The price varies - I've seen them as low as $55 not including shipping.

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Kintoun
BTW MDR-V600 is same as MDR-V6 right?

NOPE. The MDR-V600 and the MDR-V6 are completely different headphones.

Oct 17, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 27
just wondering, altho these phones will totally exceed kintoun's budget, has anyone ever heard the akg 777 surround phones or those super expensive sony surround phones? and how much do the akg 777 quadro thingies cost... i couldn't find a price quote anywhere online...

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #26 of 27
Within Sony's line, price has no bearing whatsoever with quality! The MDR-V600 was intended to replace the MDR-V6 - but proved to be extremely disappointing in doing so, sound-quality-wise.

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #27 of 27
Gluegun,

you're probably right. Fry's probably doesn't carry the V6's. but are the MDR-V600's gold or black? these were difinitely gold. of course, maybe they were stuck where the V6 label was and the label has never been changed.

and of course, Fry's is NOT the place to audition cans. At least at Radio Shack I was able to try their $99.95 cans on a few different receivers, cd players and dvd players. i don't like auditioning cans from portable cd players as i do not own a portable player. (nothing like a Bestbuy big red "push here to listen" button
rolleyes.gif
)

my observations were a comparative one based on all the cans that i listened to for 30 minutes. so if you're right, then i can safely say that TO MY EARS the mdr380's sounded better than the mdrv600's.

by the way, I used to work at Sony (Columbia/TriStar/Sony Wonder/Sony Store/ Sony Pictures/ Lowe's Threatres) and i never liked their stuff (with the exception of their $50 big table wood radio). it irked them that i wouldn't buy Sony but preferred Toshiba
very_evil_smiley.gif
so yes, take my insights with a VERY BIG grain of salt as I am VERY prejudiced against Sony. I saw all the equipment that was returned defective, like 32" tvs that had power supply cold solder joint problems, and after not being able to order a $1.00 plastic part for my Sony VCR or their trying to charge me $85 to repair my Playstation (i repaired it myself for $1.00) i was completely turned off. i still have my modified Playstation 1, though. it was modified to release all the pent up heat that destroyed the first generation PS's. so what happens?, first gen PS2's had heating problems.... did they ever work out the dvd issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back