Headphone review at cnet
May 5, 2005 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

chicken

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Anyone else intrigued by the new review of the Senn HD 485's that came on cnet.com this week. They thought they were ,"Quite possibly the best-sounding headphones for the money in the sub-$100 price range". Wow! That is kinda saying a lot, even for cnet. Anyway, just wanted everybody's feedback on this one, as I am always looking for new cans in this price range.
icon10.gif

review (I hope)

May 5, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 48
Thanks for the hint, and wow, you bet, I am intrigued. I'll watch out for these...
280smile.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 48
ugh. cnet reviews. I guess the video are useful sometimes, if only to tell what a goofball the reviewer is.
"Sennheiser's HD 485s are our new reference headphones for iPod listening"-I don't even know where to start with that. cnet is capable of being useful since it allows for user reviews, which are often better than the "official" one.

May 5, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicken
Hi. Anyone else intrigued by the new review of the Senn HD 485's that came on cnet.com this week. They thought they were ,"Quite possibly the best-sounding headphones for the money in the sub-$100 price range". Wow! That is kinda saying a lot, even for cnet. Anyway, just wanted everybody's feedback on this one, as I am always looking for new cans in this price range.
icon10.gif

review (I hope)

Grado SR60s may be a good place to start
wink.gif

As for CNET, yeah - HeadFi has grown to know that they suck
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
ugh. cnet reviews. I guess the video are useful sometimes, if only to tell what a goofball the reviewer is.
"Sennheiser's HD 485s are our new reference headphones for iPod listening"-I don't even know where to start with that. cnet is capable of being useful since it allows for user reviews, which are often better than the "official" one.

I agree for the most part. Cnet reviewers are usually not fit to write about audio-related components because they usually tend to be too bias, AND lacking in knowledge

May 5, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
[Sarcastic] What are you talking about?! CNet people are the people you trust when it comes to headphones!, I mean look at these raving reviews! [/Sarcastic]

http://reviews.cnet.com/Bose_QuietCo...-21165521.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/Bose_TriPort...-21174534.html

Doh, you beat be to it! I was just about to quote these...

[sarcasm] The TriPorts are rated higher than the SR-60! They must be sooooo good! [/sarcasm]

If you pay people enough, they will write anything...

May 5, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 48
lol the cnet people don't know jack about 'phones. just see how high some of the sony and panasonic earbuds got rated.

but still, the 485s are quite intriguing. how do they stand up to the 497s?

May 5, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 48
They have the same review for the er6i that they have for the er6. i think it's a combination of incompetence, bias, and a dash of the "I dont give a ****" factor.

May 5, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 48
Would you really think that they're so awfully dumb ?
confused.gif
plainface.gif

Say, when they claim that the HD485 is better for detail, midrange richness and bass depth than the SR125, -at least- on an iPod ?

Go grab your Grados then, before they ultimately get extinct.
k1000smile.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 5, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 48
lol. At least this thread was good for a laugh. Seriously though, thx for the help, everybody. Although I would like to check out the Senn's if I can, I think I'll just stick to ol' faithful (Grado SR-80's)

May 6, 2005 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicken
Although I would like to check out the Senn's if I can, I think I'll just stick to ol' faithful (Grado SR-80's)

Nooooooooooooooo[size=xx-small]oooooooooooo...[/size] !!
plainface.gif
tongue.gif

May 8, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

" Quite possibly the best-sounding headphones for the money in the sub-$100 price range."

And Cnet still gave it only a 7.7. What you do want, wi-fi and intergrated bithead?

May 8, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 48
I was looking for the HD 485 last Friday, 'cause I was curious about this new model, and actually found it at my local Media Markt. Couldn't bring myself to buy it, though: It's rather ugly - not as ugly as the HD 215, but still plenty stupid looking for sure...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back