Headphone related IPOD problem
Apr 18, 2005 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

J3mo

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

This is regarding the seemingly random pause that occurs on ipod minis (on the 2nd gen for sure, dunno about 1st gen) and other ipod players (i think on 4th gen, and ipod photo).

Yesterday when i was listening to my music, i noticed that the mini suddenly paused for no apparent reason. I made sure that the headphone was plugged in securely and listened on. But within about 2 min, it paused again. I played it with hold, but in about 2 min it paused yet again. I didn't know what the hell the problem was until i just did some reading,

http://forevergeek.com/gadgets/possi...atic_issue.php
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...threadid=67732

and found that the metal disk at the end of the headphone plug activates the auto-pause function because it somehow breaks the circuit (read the first article). The "solution" that is going around the web currently is to use seran wrap or some other kinds of tape to put a space between the headphone plug and the jack.

My question is - sorry for the set up
plainface.gif
- if I do this, will the sound quality deteriorate at all? I figure that the sound quality would have to with the two grooves around the plug of the headphone, but i just wanted to know.

Thanks
cool.gif

Apr 18, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 2
i've had a similar problem with my ipod, but that was when i was using cheap panasonic earbuds. i have no problem with stock apple earbuds or my hd497s. what kind of headphones are you using? supposedly the problem is due to the new firmware's autopause function that pauses the 'pod when the headphones are removed. because some headphones plugs are minutely looser, they trip this function contantly. my first suggestion would be to try another set of headphones, if that fails and you are worried about quality, you have 2 options. either roll back the firmware on the pod (which i wouldn't recommend) or getting an extension cable or adapter. good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back