headphone recommendations
Dec 18, 2004 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dunelly

100+ Head-Fier
i used hd497
hd580
sony vr6

so far i love the 580 detail,accuracy and smoothness, but i feel that veil headfi people talk about. its too relax for rap or any fast pace music I listen to
497 sounded ok, not enough soundstage, hurts ear
v6 gets no soundstage and too screechy at times but isolation was nice

any reccomendations, I prefer nothing over 150
open or close doesn't matter. Comfort a big factor as I listen to music while in bed.

Dec 18, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 4
grado's sound like they might suit your taste, however they would be sorta tricky to sleep with. hahaha. anyways, if you find a way to try on a pair to see if they are comfortable enough for you, some good models in your price range, in my opinion, are the SR-60, and Grado-alessandro MS-1 (and maybe the SR-225s if you find them used and cheap).

also, i hear that audiotechnica's are good for comfort and are well-rounded, soundwise, but i know nothing about them. maybe some other people could help you out with those.

Dec 18, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dunelly
i used hd497
hd580
sony vr6

so far i love the 580 detail,accuracy and smoothness, but i feel that veil headfi people talk about. its too relax for rap or any fast pace music I listen to
497 sounded ok, not enough soundstage, hurts ear
v6 gets no soundstage and too screechy at times but isolation was nice

any reccomendations, I prefer nothing over 150
open or close doesn't matter. Comfort a big factor as I listen to music while in bed.

The veil on the 580's can be lifted if you throw enough money at it. With a proper source, amp and an aftermarket cable, it exhibits no veil. Furthermore, the 580's can handle really expensive equipment. They'll grow with you. Alas, you will have to spend some serious money if you want to tap into their potential. (By serious I mean in the $1200-$1500 range for source, amp and cable together).

If you're unwilling to spend that kind of money, you may want to look into Senn 590's. They're a good compromise between the Grado shrill brightness and 580 relaxed presentation. They're also much more tolerant of consumer grade sources and don't require an amp.

Dec 18, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 4
If you generally like the sennheiser sound but need something more dynamic you might want to try a beyernynamic,(DT440).Grado headphones sound completely different from all of the european cans.You had better try before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back