Headphone Recommendations
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dr. Hugo

100+ Head-Fier
I am pretty new to the head-fi community and this is my first post so please excuse me if I made any mistake.

I am looking for a headphone recommendation in the upcoming thanksgiving and Christmas holiday. Here is my preference:

Most important: detail and clarity of the music, imaging, absolutely no harsh sounding treble, rather musical sounding( I know what that means can be ambiguous but I really couldn't find a better description)
Somewhat important: slightly (just very slightly) emphasized mids, comfort, drivability ( not extremely hard to drive or extremely picky on amps)

Two side points:
1. I don't have much of a demand for an immense sound stage. So although large sound stage would be a bonus, I'd rather the headphone to do a great job on the things I've mentioned first.
2. bass: I prefer accurate and medium intensity bass with decent sounding. But bass doesn't have to be great for me to love a headphone.

Price:
The highest I can afford is MrSpeakers Ether C Flow, which is around 1800 usd here in US. But I'd rather the headphone to be between 750 to 1300 usd. Obviously being less expensive while maintaining the same performance is always a good thing.

Thank you guys so much in advance. I really appreciate all that contribute to this post and wish all of you guys a good day.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Just to give you a heads up there is the Capital Audio Fest happening Nov 3-5 in Rockville MD. and the local head-fi will have a meet on the 5th at the same location. I’ve been at a few meets that the DC area guys came to good folk with good gear and there is supposed to be like 30 headphone vendors there also. That would be a better way of making a choice on what you like. As for the Ether C Flows I like the original C’s myself but the flows are good maybe the Aeon’s would be a good choice in that price range for closed backs. Just a thought.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 9
The Shure SRH1540 is well-made, closed, and very comfortable. It is bassy, but keeps the detail found in the upper treble. Check it out.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Just to give you a heads up there is the Capital Audio Fest happening Nov 3-5 in Rockville MD. and the local head-fi will have a meet on the 5th at the same location. I’ve been at a few meets that the DC area guys came to good folk with good gear and there is supposed to be like 30 headphone vendors there also. That would be a better way of making a choice on what you like. As for the Ether C Flows I like the original C’s myself but the flows are good maybe the Aeon’s would be a good choice in that price range for closed backs. Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice. I know there is a Capital Audio Fest and I am most certainly going and trying different stuffs out. As for the Ether, what is it about the original C's that you like and what is it about the Flow that you don't? Thank you so much again!

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the advice. I know there is a Capital Audio Fest and I am most certainly going and trying different stuffs out. As for the Ether, what is it about the original C's that you like and what is it about the Flow that you don't? Thank you so much again!
I just like the highs on the C’s just a bit more than the Flows it just has a bit more sparkle that I like in it the Flows have a bit more bass and a bit more of a airy feel to them they are good just like the C’s better but I was torn on keeping them or going for a upgrade to open Flows that I like much better than the C Flows. Another that I like a lot and if my power amp didn’t just die on my two channel system I might have picked up a pair is the ZMF Eikons they are also very good and on the neutral side of things and they just loved my Amps and Sound Kenzie amp. I just have to wait and see how good my Christmas bonus is going to be ; )

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 9
I just like the highs on the C’s just a bit more than the Flows it just has a bit more sparkle that I like in it the Flows have a bit more bass and a bit more of a airy feel to them they are good just like the C’s better but I was torn on keeping them or going for a upgrade to open Flows that I like much better than the C Flows. Another that I like a lot and if my power amp didn’t just die on my two channel system I might have picked up a pair is the ZMF Eikons they are also very good and on the neutral side of things and they just loved my Amps and Sound Kenzie amp. I just have to wait and see how good my Christmas bonus is going to be ; )
Thank you so much! I'll see if I can get a chance to hear those headphones in the Capital Audiofest. I'm now super hyped up for the event!

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 9
i hope you do get to hear those.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 9
I am searching on different websites and it seems to me, according to their descriptions, that electrostatic headphones are great fits for me. Have you had any impression on something like Stax L300? Thanks!
Have not heard that one but have heard several other Staxs and EStats. I have the Koss ESP 950's and love them but I do run them from a Stax SRM1 MK2 amp though. The Stax SR-009 and 007 are great but are expensive. Electrostats are a commitment as you have a different amp that only runs electrostats but they are very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back