Headphone recommendations
Aug 2, 2012 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xZerox

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for some nice headphones that I can use to play games and listen to music. These headphones will be always used at my computer. My budget is around $300 which would consist of headphones, amp, and sound card. For the amp and sound card I was thinking of getting the Muse 6n11/Bravo v2 12AU7 tube amp and an Asus Xonar DX.

I don't play many FPS games anymore because I'm addicted to LoL, but if I ever do start playing FPS games I'd like these headphones to be able to work well in a competitive environment for games like counter-strike. I'd definitely prefer a closed headset, I was actually looking at the DT 770s  but was turned off because of the bass. 

I listen to many different types of music but my main types would be rap(no I don't like rap really bassy), k-pop, and house/trance type stuff. I own the Sennheiser HD595s and they leak a little too much sound for my taste but they do sound really great. If I lived alone I definitely would get those.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I'm currently looking for some nice headphones that I can use to play games and listen to music. These headphones will be always used at my computer. My budget is around $300 which would consist of headphones, amp, and sound card. For the amp and sound card I was thinking of getting the Muse 6n11/Bravo v2 12AU7 tube amp and an Asus Xonar DX.

I don't play many FPS games anymore because I'm addicted to LoL, but if I ever do start playing FPS games I'd like these headphones to be able to work well in a competitive environment for games like counter-strike. I'd definitely prefer a closed headset, I was actually looking at the DT 770s  but was turned off because of the bass. 

I listen to many different types of music but my main types would be rap(no I don't like rap really bassy), k-pop, and house/trance type stuff. I own the Sennheiser HD595s and they leak a little too much sound for my taste but they do sound really great. If I lived alone I definitely would get those.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm to me are not "over bassy", I'm using them right this second, Kenny Logins I'm alright.
Should fine with the Xonar DX and tube amp.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 9
Fostex T50RP "Mad Dogs". I will bruh listening to music on my computer and they start gaming and they are fantastic for both and at 250 USD you cannot beat em.

Edit: my apologies I thought the budget for head phones was 300. Maybe grab the Audio-gd NFB-12 and get a pair of T50RPs and mod them yourself (it's super easy and cheap)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

AD700& HD 598 - great for competitive gaming, doesn't need an amp. Leaks sound though. The HD 598 sounds really good with k-pop and trance though. 

DT880 (250 ohms) - ever try these? Bass was good for me. Treble was the problem though. 

Denon D2000 - this is semi-open. Still leaks sound. Every great headphone for gaming will usually leak sound sorry to say, because they're usually open/ semi-open designs. You might think the bass on these are a bit too strong. 

The first two headphones I recommended are bass shy/ bass neutral. I would've recommended the Q701 as well but I think the bass on those headphones are a bit TOO shy like the AD700 except they cost a lot more. They do look much sexier though, that's for sure. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
AD700& HD 598 - great for competitive gaming, doesn't need an amp. Leaks sound though. The HD 598 sounds really good with k-pop and trance though. 

DT880 (250 ohms) - ever try these? Bass was good for me. Treble was the problem though. 

Denon D2000 - this is semi-open. Still leaks sound. Every great headphone for gaming will usually leak sound sorry to say, because they're usually open/ semi-open designs. You might think the bass on these are a bit too strong. 

The first two headphones I recommended are bass shy/ bass neutral. I would've recommended the Q701 as well but I think the bass on those headphones are a bit TOO shy like the AD700 except they cost a lot more. They do look much sexier though, that's for sure. 

I was very interested in the DT880s but couldn't find a new pair that are around $200. Since I'm spending 120-130 on amp/sound card. The AKG Q701 looks pretty interesting also.. Let me also add I would like them to be very comfortable and they don't have to be 100% perfect for FPS I really only play LoL now and sometimes counter-strike with friends.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I was very interested in the DT880s but couldn't find a new pair that are around $200. Since I'm spending 120-130 on amp/sound card. The AKG Q701 looks pretty interesting also.. Let me also add I would like them to be very comfortable and they don't have to be 100% perfect for FPS I really only play LoL now and sometimes counter-strike with friends.

AKG Q701s are comfortable but I found the headband to be annoying (like thousands of other people). Many people claim the HD 598 is the most comfortable headphone they ever wore. I kinda agree. These don't need an amp but they do benefit from one, especially its bass and soundstage. Not sure about the audio technica headphone lines though. Some people like their "wings" and some people don't. 

In terms of music, I'll take the 598 over the 701 any day. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
AKG Q701s are comfortable but I found the headband to be annoying (like thousands of other people). Many people claim the HD 598 is the most comfortable headphone they ever wore. I kinda agree. These don't need an amp but they do benefit from one, especially its bass and soundstage. Not sure about the audio technica headphone lines though. Some people like their "wings" and some people don't. 

In terms of music, I'll take the 598 over the 701 any day. 

I have the 595s and from what I remember they are comfortable, but I don't enjoy the weight. I'm really stuck between the DT880s and the Q701s.

Aug 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I have the 595s and from what I remember they are comfortable, but I don't enjoy the weight. I'm really stuck between the DT880s and the Q701s.

HD 598s weighs less than the 595 (iono by how much), and from what I remember from 595 owners, the headband cushion on the 598 makes it substantially more comfortable. DT880/250 probably are not too amp dependent but I wouldn't know. If you only play LoL, I would go with that over the Q701, just for the sheer bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back