Headphone recommendations
Aug 14, 2007 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Hancoque

Head-Fier
Reading all the reviews and discussions on the various sites is quite overwhelming after some time. Maybe some people can suggest me what headphones would fit best to my listening tastes.

I'm listening to various styles of music, black metal, progressive rock, jazz, classical music, house, drum n bass, just to name a few genres. I like ultra deep bass but also detail and clarity. On amplifiers with an equalizer I mostly set it like a "U" as I don't like the mid range around 1 KHz to take away too much dynamics. I would like a smooth, organic and warm sound that lets me sink deep into the music like diving into an ocean.

I listen solely though my computer which has an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 that is connected to a Kenwood KA-2050R amplifier to which I would connect the headphones. So I have knobs for bass and treble and a loudness switch. I have found my favorite sound by activating the loudness switch, turning the treble knob to the max and the bass knob to the middle.

Concerning the so called soundstage: I would like the headphone to stay neutral in this regard because I would like to leave that to the software DSP plugins I use in my audio player software (foobar2000). Right now I'm very happy with the virtual room effect that Dolby Headphone provides. But I know that it makes it difficult to notice certain details. So, if I should notice that it takes away too much on the new headphones I will look for a more subtle crossfeed effect plugin. Currently I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 525 which have served me for years. But now I definitely want to have something better.

I'm thinking of something in the price range of the Grado SR325i or the Sennheiser HD 650, which means no ultra high end but something quite good.

I hope this is enough information to give an impression of what I would presumably like and what rather not.

Aug 14, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 15
I think I see where you're coming from. I'm currently running my cans through a home theater receiver with the bass and treble knobs.

....although I tend to leave mine at zero-zero most of the time, I have been known to tweak then a bit when the tunes dictated.
very_evil_smiley.gif

My tastes in music are equally as wide and my choices in cans are quite close to the two you mentioned.

My HD600 is a bit more middle-of-the-road than the HD650, and my MS2i is also a bit more middle-of-the-road then the SR-325i. They each have soundstage in realistic amounts to reflect the music they are best suited for and in my opinion sound quite natural in that regard.

Neither are really all that heavy on the bass even with a reasonable amount of bass boost; but the HD650 does add a couple more db to bring to the party. The SR-325i I believe is similar to the MS2i in presenting bass in a more natural format as well. Although I haven't heard them so really shouldn't be commenting on them.

But a lot of folks go with the multiple cans route to fill in many of the blanks. Works well for me. Just takes a little more time to round them up...and for wallet recouperation.
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 15
My vote goes toward the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900.

I have teh AD700, but it's pretty lacking in terms of bass (as are most open cans). The AD900 improves the bass and also even the soundstage.

If you're looking for a closed can, the Denon D2000 will be hard to beat (no pun intended =^D )

Aug 14, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes toward the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900.

I have teh AD700, but it's pretty lacking in terms of bass (as are most open cans). The AD900 improves the bass and also even the soundstage.

If you're looking for a closed can, the Denon D2000 will be hard to beat (no pun intended =^D )

How lacking is the AD700, grndslm? Good enough for rock music at least?

Aug 15, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How lacking is the AD700, grndslm? Good enough for rock music at least?

You know that's too hard to answer.

Personally, I can only really tell the bass is lacking when listening to hip-hop. It's still very clear bass, but it's a lil' bit fainter than how I'd like it to sound. I'd say most closed cans in existence have MORE bass than these. I'm starting to wonder if all open cans lack bass, AD900 included. . .

I really wish I woulda saved for the AD900 (if the bass is really a bit more plentiful) and passed up the Darth. Really... I love everything about the AD700, but like I said... the bass could certainly be juiced up a bit more.

Oh well, now I get to try the AD700 and AD900 side by side to compare, analyze, and sell the one I'm leased impressed with.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

You know that's too hard to answer.

Personally, I can only really tell the bass is lacking when listening to hip-hop. It's still very clear bass, but it's a lil' bit fainter than how I'd like it to sound. I'd say most closed cans in existence have MORE bass than these. I'm starting to wonder if all open cans lack bass, AD900 included. . .

I really wish I woulda saved for the AD900 (if the bass is really a bit more plentiful) and passed up the Darth. Really... I love everything about the AD700, but like I said... the bass could certainly be juiced up a bit more.

Oh well, now I get to try the AD700 and AD900 side by side to compare, analyze, and sell the one I'm leased impressed with.

Quote:

I guess the fact that I can listen to hip-hop at all with the AD700 proves it's not that bad, but that's pretty much the only genre that isn't suited for these awesome cans.

Perhaps hip-hop and open cans will never harmonize.

X2. You should try amping it with a Corda Move. Heard that it'll give some needed bass to some phones. Though with that money, one can buy the AD900s!
biggrin.gif

I'm planning to go bare naked to the AD900s, personally. I know that it isn't the best can for rock music and that's why I'll probably get the MS2s + some Liberators for the punch I need. I seriously doubt any one phone would be suitable for every genre of music.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancoque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening to various styles of music, black metal, progressive rock, jazz, classical music, house, drum n bass, just to name a few genres. I like ultra deep bass but also detail and clarity. On amplifiers with an equalizer I mostly set it like a "U" as I don't like the mid range around 1 KHz to take away too much dynamics. I would like a smooth, organic and warm sound that lets me sink deep into the music like diving into an ocean.

I'm thinking of something in the price range of the Grado SR325i or the Sennheiser HD 650, which means no ultra high end but something quite good.

Sorry to ignore you there.
I think you'll need more than one can for the type of music you listen to. Unless someone here can think of one phone that has soundstage (ample enough for classical music), clarity, some good thumping bass and a bootiful sounding midrange (for classical instruments)? For less than $350?
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 15
I think you'll be very satisfied with the HD650 or even the HD600. I really don't find myself feeling any smooth or warm sounds with the Grado's with exception to the RS series.

You can occasionally fetch the Audio Technica ATH-W1000's in the $300's used, but I don't think their sound signature is what you're looking for. I found their midrange to be a bit strange and it doesn't really sound "smooth" to me. (Although I still really like them)

Really, in that price range, the only cans that I have tried that would match your desired sound descriptions are the HD600 or the HD650. I have the HD600 and have only briefly tried the HD650. I'm very satisfied with the HD600 as they offer the smooth enveloping sound to relax to when, say, I'm tired after a day of work etc. You can find them in the $200's used, and you may give those a shot. You'll save a ton of money, and should you want to upgrade, used headphones don't depreciate too much as compared to new (like a car!). I got mine for about $180 shipped. Remember, not too long ago they were considered the standard and the HD650 is only a relatively recent product.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 15
I have decided to order a pair of Alessandro MS-2. Initially I wanted the Grado SR325i but these cannot be shipped outside the US (and they're too expensive in my country). But now I'm glad I stumbled across Alessandro, as their products are regarded as being more neutral and thus better suited to my listening tastes.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancoque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to order a pair of Alessandro MS-2. Initially I wanted the Grado SR325i but these cannot be shipped outside the US (and they're too expensive in my country). But now I'm glad I stumbled across Alessandro, as their products are regarded as being more neutral and thus better suited to my listening tastes.

Although I haven't heard the MS2i, from the reviews and impressions I've read I feel they would suit your ears a bit more. I have the SR325i and I can tell you that they are not neutral, but fun to have. Let us know what you think about them when they arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know what you think about them when they arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

They arrived yesterday. As I listened to them for the first time I really had a "wow" feeling. I quickly changed the headphones to my old pair just to see if the headphones really caused it and they were. The Grados are considered to have a narrow soundstage but if that's the case then my old pair has none at all! I had the feeling that I didn't even have to use something like Dolby Headphone to get a more spacious sound experience.

But there is one thing that's not quite satisfactory. They are uncomfortable as heck. Longer listening is absolutely impossible for me. I did some research and decided to go for some quarter-modded HD 414 pads to ease the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back