Headphone recommendations under 100$ ?
Mar 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bonjurkes

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a headphone to use at office, so key points are keeping the music for my ears, and not cause other people around to get disturbed with my music. I have ckm500 IEM already and I am pretty happy about it. I prefer something comfy (planning to keep them on my ears most of the day, and like I said good noise isolation would be great.

I mostly listen electronic music and rock, actually some headphones that gives taste of ckm500 would be great.

I am not so experienced about headphones, and I don't have much option in my country so I plan to buy via website like accessoryjack etc. I saw about ATH-TAD500, but I can't be sure if it will keep inside or not, because of open cans.

Edit: I like bass, not extreme bloated up ones tho

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Budget?

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 17
My budget is up to 100. I am not sure if I can find a decent headphones with that price limit, but my country's customs limit is around 100 dollars as max, so I don't really want to pay extra stuff.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
My budget is up to 100. I am not sure if I can find a decent headphones with that price limit, but my country's customs limit is around 100 dollars as max, so I don't really want to pay extra stuff.

Don't worry, there are plenty of decent headphones to find under $100. Just to name a few:

Closed:
Shure SRH-440's (Might be too bass light for your taste)
V-Moda Crossfade LP's

Note that I have ONLY tested the SRH-440's, all other suggestions are headphones that I have heard enough great reviews of to know that they are probably worth a mention to at least give someone an idea of what some of their options might be.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Tyll of Inner Fidelity, a highly regarded reviewer, just gave these a great writeup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OWRSLQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2QLXCSZN0LEEU

Guttenberg over at Cnet also liked them a lot FWIW.

Generally, though, when I'm asked for headphones under $100.,
I lean towards recommending the Sony MDR V6.  They're proven,
well made, good sounding, comfortable for most, used in
studios all over the world, and can be sold very easily if
and when you decide to move on.

I had a set of them for years, used them at the gym, kept them
in the trunk of the car,  one day I sold them.  About two weeks
later I saw them on a Black Friday sale at a great price and
bought them again! :LOL: I think I'll be keeping these...

Mar 4, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks a lot for the recommendations

Between Creative Aurvana Live and Sony MDR V6 which one would you recommend? And which one would be better to keep them on my ears for long time? (must be comfy) and shouldn't leak any sound to outside?

I read comments for both headphones. For V6 they say it's uncomfy if you keep them on ears for long time, plus looong cable is a minus. For CAL it's more comfy, and sound leakage is almost none.

I also read that their sound taste is pretty close to each other, but like I said I will use it mainly for electronic music

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the recommendations

Between Creative Aurvana Live and Sony MDR V6 which one would you recommend? And which one would be better to keep them on my ears for long time? (must be comfy) and shouldn't leak any sound to outside?

I read comments for both headphones. For V6 they say it's uncomfy if you keep them on ears for long time, plus looong cable is a minus. For CAL it's more comfy, and sound leakage is almost none.

I also read that their sound taste is pretty close to each other, but like I said I will use it mainly for electronic music

Long term wearing comfort is determined in part by ear shape, head size, and similar
attributes which are obviously personal.  I find both of these headphones very comfortable, but I can see that
the CAL's lighter weight and gentler clamping force could be more comfortable for most.

Both have more than adequate padding and clamping force to prevent leakage

Of course the long (coiled) cable of the Sony can be seen as a plus or a minus
depending on the headphone's intended use - as an 'out and about' portable,
as a studio monitor, etc. 

IMO Both do well with electronic music (one of my favorite genres), but the CAL's
have a bit more bass.  In fact, to me that's the largest difference between the
CAL and the Sony. 

From what you've written, though I like the V6 (slightly) more,  I think the CAL
would probably be the better choice for you.

Cheers.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
A great headphone that is unmatched at that price range is the shure SRH440 with the 840 pads after the normal ones have worn down. You won't get that clarity these things possess until nearly twice their budget. They matched my denon d200" in clarity and beat them in some areas. I have tried the creative aura live and they sound average and tinny sounding. It's not a good headphone, the shure have great build and are comfy with great isolation and zero sound leak. They have a detachable cable too.

Well, at least it's definite now.  :p

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 17
I own the srh440 too and they're very transparent and neutral, but i think they might be too analytical for some people and very unforgiving of poor recordings. Also they're not that comfortable (u need the srh840 pads) and may lack bass for a lot of people.

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 17
I guess i will stick between V6 and CAL. I like the look of V6, CAL looks a bit too shiny, plus I guess I like sony brand more than Creative. And I also read that V6 have longer life, except the pads getting worn out after 2 years.

Edit: But I don't have which one is more comfy when you wear them for long time, plus I use glasses

Edit 2: I will use it mainly connected to my laptop, Macbook, not sure if it will make any difference

Edit 3: Most people says that it's better to buy better earpads Beyerdynamic ones. Should I order the earpads also when I order the headphones, or should I wait like a year for earpads to get damaged then replace with the Beyerdynamic ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back