Headphone recommendations that are good at gaming and music around $200?
Nov 29, 2014 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MaximumMoose

New Head-Fier
Okay so I will re-post this from /r/headphones on Reddit as I need help with finding the perfect headphones for me.
Budget- ~$200 ; + ~$50

Source[What I plan on plugging the headphones into]- Computer sound card, Xbox one headset adapter, and Iphone. (Maybe an amp if I get a hold of one)

Requirements for Isolation- I would like at least a little but preferably some.

Preferred Type of Headphone- Full-sized over ear. I hate IEMs as they hurt my inner ear and just have never worked with me.

Preferred tonal balance: I would like strong base or something that is good for gaming and listening to music.

Past headphones- I had the older model of the Sony MDR-E9LP and I loved them. I then got the new apple earpods and they work great also. My first headphones were the turtle beach XL1 and that was like a revolution. I couldn't believe the improvement in sound. Now I am using some Sennheiser HD 428's and I really enjoyed the sound-quality and the comfort. They did hurt my head at first and . I would like an upgrade however.

Preferred Music- I enjoy alternative music such as The Neighbourhood, Foster the People, Alt-J, Portugal. The Man and Passion Pit. I also enjoy listening to thing such as Soldiers by Nitro Fun, Tremors by Dimitri Vegas, A Milli by Lil Wayne or some other chill song like most from Monstercat. Songs like that with lots of bass and gaming are just awesome. I also enjoy classical music such as Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel. If it sounds good, I will probably like it! Unless its death metal or country... haha.

Extra: I have spent a lot of time looking into headphones and I plan to get an ant lion mic for gaming also. Some headphones that have stood out are the ATH-M50x's (which seems some people love, others hate) ATH-AD700x, Sennheiser G4ME ONE (but the mic would be weird just listening to music casually) the Senn HD558/HD598 (to be honest i think the HD598 looks bad... I don't like the colors) and the AKG K550. I am pretty new to mid-high end headphones and a lot of this stuff seems pretty complicated. Any help is much appreciated!

So ideally I would like to get the nicest headphones for both casual music listening and gaming. I would like them to be comfortable so I can wear for long periods of time and with good sound quality. What I plan on doing is attaching a antlion modmic to the headphones so I can put it on to game and talk to my friends and then also take it out to listen in public and not look like an air traffic controller
wink.gif
. The modmic+headphones routed through a cord adapter and then plug into the Xbox one stereo adapter to play on the Xbox and similarly on the computer. I'm not to familiar with the audiophile and headphone scene but over the past couple days I have lurked and learned a lot. Also timely responses would be appreciated so I can get them deals. 

To summarize:
-What headphones would work well for both gaming and music?
-Would a headset such as the astro a40's just be easier and better?
-Help me please I am not an expert by any means
Thanks!

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 2
  Okay so I will re-post this from /r/headphones on Reddit as I need help with finding the perfect headphones for me.
So ideally I would like to get the nicest headphones for both casual music listening and gaming. I would like them to be comfortable so I can wear for long periods of time and with good sound quality. What I plan on doing is attaching a antlion modmic to the headphones so I can put it on to game and talk to my friends and then also take it out to listen in public and not look like an air traffic controller
wink.gif
. The modmic+headphones routed through a cord adapter and then plug into the Xbox one stereo adapter to play on the Xbox and similarly on the computer. I'm not to familiar with the audiophile and headphone scene but over the past couple days I have lurked and learned a lot. Also timely responses would be appreciated so I can get them deals. 

To summarize:
-What headphones would work well for both gaming and music?
-Would a headset such as the astro a40's just be easier and better?
-Help me please I am not an expert by any means
Thanks!

Gaming headsets usually aren't reccomended here. Keep in mind the hd558/598 are open headphones, so they won't have any isolation. 
If you're just looking for a basshead can, the m audio q40 and yamaha pro 400 would fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back