Headphone recommendations: sub 200 USD, open air
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cakedude501

New Head-Fier
     I showed my ATH AD 900Xs to my relatives because they were in town today, and they fell in love with them and were interested in open air headphones for everything, music,gaming, and audiobooks.  They weren't planning on spending more than about 200 USD per pair.  These are headphones that will be under constant use, so durability is a big thing.  I was looking into headphones like the 900Xs and some other like the AKG Q701s.  I feel that I am not experienced enough to say that I know what all of the good ones are, so I was wondering if there were any I have not considered yet.  I have been looking through a few guides so far, and am not complete in searching for which ones i would recommend, and that is before I look into the pricing and availability.  
     Any and all recommendations are appreciated, the biggest thing will be gaming for these.

Apr 30, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 7
For between $150 to $200, the ATH-AD900X.

May 1, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 7
Do your computers have sound cards and/or amps (perhaps built into the sound card)?  If not using computers, what can you tell us about audio section, especially pertaining to its ability to drive headphones, of your machines.

May 1, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 7
If you want to give a Sennheiser 'phone a shot, I would recommend the HD 598. Not as laid back sounding as a lot Senn cans, more forward and energetic. Great for movies and gaming, don't need and amp. $150 at Amazon...

May 1, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 7
     That is a good one to consider, I am going to try it out when i run some errands into the city I will try them out at one of the music shops.  The thing is that they are looking for ones where you can tell what someone is saying from another room, but I will keep them in mind and make sure to stop and try them.

May 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 7
     I will check, but their computers are laptops that they will be using, so i doubt that there are sound cards.  

In that case, the AD900X area good choice for headphones <$200. The Q701s you mentioned would typically need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back