Headphone recommendations please (for an electronica[techno, trance] listener)
Aug 18, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1ph0pp3r
The AKG 81dj's seem like the right choice here but is the bass still strong straight from a portable(iPod) without an amp? Or do I need something smaller like the AKG 26p?

Sorry I cannot provide you w/ a comparison between the K81DJ and K26P.

If you decide on the smaller K26P, feel free to PM me before you buy.

Good luck in your choice.

Aug 18, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1ph0pp3r
The AKG 81dj's seem like the right choice here but is the bass still strong straight from a portable(iPod) without an amp? Or do I need something smaller like the AKG 26p?

You have similar listening preference to mine. I listened religiously to GODFLESH, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode, Techno Animal, The Prodigy, CURVE, Pitch Shifter and stuffs like that.

The obvious choice is AKG K81DJ - BUT consider this, cable is 8 foot long so that will be an ISSUE with portability. And AKG K81DJ will need the helps of portable amp to drive it to the fullest. Most likely your iPod will drive them ampless but you will be getting like only listening to 75% of the spectrum that K81DJ can deliver.

For me, I resorted to Audio Technica ATH-ES5, simply because of the sheer drivability ampless and for phat like heady punches in bass resolution. ATH-ES5 is fully designed and made in Japan with Japanese youth listening attribute ingrained - JPop is massively popular in Asia and if you have ever listened to JPop music you will know that they are quite intense with electronics. ATH-ES5 is portable enough and have that moderate isolation factor.

I am not sure about AKG K26P, but words has been spread that it could be a bit boomy with Bass resolution and somewhat muddy overall as a result of that boominess. But this can could also be a revelation for trancelike basshead. I will actually buy a K26P later if the offer is good from my local supplier. I have a few mods that I can think of to minimize the boominess - much similar to KOSS the Plug mods.

Aug 18, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 30
DT770 pro/80 with an amp. I listen mostly to dubstep, darkstep, drumnbass, reggae and other electronic music (as well as some psychedelic/goa when i am really blasted).
Putting these phones on is like putting a party on your head. I find grados too laid back for this kind of music. The DT770 just seem like they are on a mission.
I wasnt happy with them without an amp, but the PA2V2 is doing a great job until a manage to save up for a $500+ stationary amp.
Also i feel the DT770pro has quite a long burn in time.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #22 of 30
All I listen to is Drum & Bass and Dubstep on my Beyer dt770/80. All I can say is "Sonic Heaven." They do all electronica just as well.

Get them and a portable amp. You'll be set.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 30
Hey, I have DT 770/80 PRE-05's (I think 03) and they are fantastic for electronic music but for me the ONLY complaint I have is that ambient spatial reverb isn't quite as good sounding as it could be and the bass is BIG (not boomy) but not tight enough.. it's a bit slow.

I'm Upgrading to 990's and have RP-21's on the way.. So I'll see how those 2 work.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by eladioc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got recommended the AKG K240S for trance/techno... I should be receiving it on Monday, so if you haven't decided by tuesday or wednesday, i'll let you know what I think about them. I got them for only $76 shipped too, so maybe you could save a lot of money

WOW, that sucks. I have a pair of k240's and theyre not fun AT ALLLLLLL for electronic music. They sound really empty and bleh. No smack. VERY boring to listen to electronic stuff on. They're more analytical than my DT 770's but no where near as enjoyable.

They do have a decent soundstage though. I will give em that.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 30
yeah, grab the beyer!

I have DT880 and they are also great, but you would need an amp. if that is no issue, than I highly recomend them! they are great!

K81 are also fine

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 30
K81 or AT SJ5 as portabel & A900 as home fon. Won't even need an amp thingy then.

The DT770 only works well with ambient and slow downbeat IMO.

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #29 of 30
Aargh, one of those newbee grave diggers again...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aargh, one of those newbee grave diggers again...
rolleyes.gif

My bad. You'd think I was some newbee grave digger or something.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back