Headphone Recommendations for everyday public travel
Oct 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Danthuyer

New Head-Fier
Hi guys hope everyone is doing well ?

I would like to get some opinions on a new set of cans that I need to get for my portable rig.

My current rig is iPhone 5.5 running rock box with an FiiO E12 amp and in ear monster/dr. Dre beats

I am not a fan of in ear or bud style and I would like to go to an over the ear closed style setup so that if I decide to crank up the music I don't annoy my fellow passengers.

Whilst I am at work and home I do use Alessandro ms-1 and I have used these for many many years an I do like the sound they produce.

I prefer punchy bass good clear mids and well defined treble.

My price range is up to $200 as I don't want to jump to the next level until I get new amp etc.
My listening style is techno trance electronic mixed up with pop and rock

Thank you in advance
Dan

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 17
based on the fact that you are using monster headphones i will direct you twords v-moda m-80's they are great for $100. if you wanted to go up to your maximum of $200 there is the crossfade lp 2 which is an amazing headphone as well. if you wanted to spend yet another $100 and fully take advantage of that e12 amp, you could go for the MadDog from Mr. Speakers, My step brother has a pair and they have to be my favorite sub $600 closed cans. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 17
@ GramKraker - One of the guys here at work has set of  V-moda Crossover LP2 and I am listening to them as i type this...... I dont like the sound of these... dirty and heavy IMO compared to what I am used to with the Alessandro

I had a read through this link

http://www.head-fi.org/a/2013-head-fi-summer-buying-guide-over-ear-headphones

I have heard some good things about Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ???

Is there a possibility that I couldn't get a similar sound to what I am used to with closed air cans ??

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 17
Then The V-moda Crossfade M-100 which is much better then the LP2 ( the M-100 is $300 but i don't use an amp yet and love them with my samsung galaxy s4) ... or if you want even more neutral while still have "punchy" bass the M-80 but is on ear ?

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 17
@Closinggracer - I think I might stay away from the v-moda after my initial experience here in the office - however thanks for the info

--

Went down the road to a local electronics store and they were helpful in allowing me to plug in my ipod/amp into a few of the headphones they had on show

Skull Candy Aviator - Not a bad sound but I didn't like the triangular shape sitting on my ear

Sennheiser Momentum - Sounded very nice and clean and felt good to wear although with the bass bost active on the E12 it was a little rough. Turning off the boost on the amp fixed this. The other issue is that they had 2 units with varying price one @ $160 and the other @ $300 so i assume i was listening to the cheaper unit .......

I also do like the look of these Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro .....

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 17
  @Closinggracer - I think I might stay away from the v-moda after my initial experience here in the office - however thanks for the info

--

Went down the road to a local electronics store and they were helpful in allowing me to plug in my ipod/amp into a few of the headphones they had on show

Skull Candy Aviator - Not a bad sound but I didn't like the triangular shape sitting on my ear

Sennheiser Momentum - Sounded very nice and clean and felt good to wear although with the bass bost active on the E12 it was a little rough. Turning off the boost on the amp fixed this. The other issue is that they had 2 units with varying price one @ $160 and the other @ $300 so i assume i was listening to the cheaper unit .......

I also do like the look of these Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro .....

There is 2 models of the Sennheiser momentum's. one is the On-ear ( Cheaper) and over ear ($300)

As far as V-moda is Go look at the reviews of the M-100 and M-80 and proof lies in there. The M-80 is the top reviewed Headphone for On-ear i believe and the M-100 is 37 for over ear i believe. The LP2 is definitely for Bassheads. While the M-100 is a basshead dream as well the M-100 is a solid headphone with much better Mids and highs then the LP and LP2 combined 

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 17

There is 2 models of the Sennheiser momentum's. one is the On-ear ( Cheaper) and over ear ($300)

As far as V-moda is Go look at the reviews of the M-100 and M-80 and proof lies in there. The M-80 is the top reviewed Headphone for On-ear i believe and the M-100 is 37 for over ear i believe. The LP2 is definitely for Bassheads. While the M-100 is a basshead dream as well the M-100 is a solid headphone with much better Mids and highs then the LP and LP2 combined 

Awesome thanks mate - for clarifying the Momentum question

As for the V-moda I will look around and hope to listen to the other models available to me.

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 17
For daily use on public transport i loved my in ear Sennheisers, even without music playing they were like wearing ear plugs, so peaceful having that layer of insulation from the outside world 
wink_face.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 17
@ mcandmar - sorry mate in ear i am not a fan of
@closingracer - I would prefer the on ear i think ..... I didnt get a chance to test the over ear yesterday. Also I think the price of the on ear was extremely good @$160
@ billsonChan007 - thanks dude :)

update - I found an extremely cheap pair of beyerdynamics for $150 new so i picked these up....... however I still might go have another look at the sennheisers

can anyone tell me their pro's cons' between the HD25II and the momentum ?

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #13 of 17
  @ mcandmar - sorry mate in ear i am not a fan of
@closingracer - I would prefer the on ear i think ..... I didnt get a chance to test the over ear yesterday. Also I think the price of the on ear was extremely good @$160
@ billsonChan007 - thanks dude :)

update - I found an extremely cheap pair of beyerdynamics for $150 new so i picked these up....... however I still might go have another look at the sennheisers

can anyone tell me their pro's cons' between the HD25II and the momentum ?

Not sure about the HD25ii but here's the pros and cons of momentum:

Pros ;
Excellent headphone for on the go
Does not require an amp
deep-sub bass
well balanced sound
timbre
​build quality and look
accessories that comes with it
detachable cable

Cons;
lacks soundstage, instrumental separation
some may find it to be on-ear style even they said it's over ear
price; some may not be able to pay that much for it 

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 17
  Not sure about the HD25ii but here's the pros and cons of momentum:

Pros ;
Excellent headphone for on the go
Does not require an amp
deep-sub bass
well balanced sound
timbre
​build quality and look
accessories that comes with it
detachable cable

Cons;
lacks soundstage, instrumental separation
some may find it to be on-ear style even they said it's over ear
price; some may not be able to pay that much for it 

Thank you again Billson....

I found a pair of Thunderpants planar magnetic Orthodynamic Headphones for sale...... I understand that these were custom made by a person by the name of smeggy on here years ago !? they are very pricy...but to have a little bit of head-fi history would be cool ..

Oct 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 17

Thank you again Billson....

I found a pair of Thunderpants planar magnetic Orthodynamic Headphones for sale...... I understand that these were custom made by a person by the name of smeggy on here years ago !? they are very pricy...but to have a little bit of head-fi history would be cool ..

Unfortunately, I have no experience at all with orthodynamic headphone but from what I know, they are not easy to drive! You need something powerful for it but damping factor does no affect on it and the ruler straight FR curve is what attracts a lot of people who are looking for neutral headphone. 

[the above theory not only apply to one particular orthodynamic headphone but all orthodynamic headphone available in the market. Just a side note :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back