Headphone Recommendations for $700?
Mar 8, 2015 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I have the Sennheiser HD650's at the moment and I like them but there are things about the sound signature I would change. Firstly, the bass isn't impactful enough, I figure this is due to the lack of sub bass and could even have more a bit more mid bass. I love the mids, there is nothing I would change about them. As for the highs, it is too dark for me, I would like something with a bit of sparkle but not overly bright. Sound stage is good, not the best I have ever heard but nothing to complain about in my opinion. Comfort is great, I love the weight and the way the ear pads are oval shaped, they really fit my ears well.

I listen to them from my Bottlehead Crack + Schiit Modi and to my ears I only hear a marginal and sometimes no difference between the amp/dac combo and my onboard sound from my motherboard: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DDR3-Motherboards-Z97-G45-GAMING/dp/B00K23BYCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425801597&sr=8-1&keywords=msi+gaming+g45

So with that being said, I need some recommendations for headphones up to $700. I listen to mostly rap/hip-hop but I also listen to rock/classic rock and metal.

My favorite frequency is the mids, I like these a bit distant, not recessed or withdrawn by any means but just not right up in my face so to speak. The next most important is the bass, I like fast, impactful, and detailed bass. Lastly the highs, like I said before the HD650's are too dark for me I would like something that is brighter but I don't want a "bright" headphone. Something that is at or under 400 grams for the weight would also be perferred but isn't a must. Thanks!

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 3
HiFiMAN HE-500 or 560 which is around 190 more than your pricetag but its pretty much only the comfort which is the main difference. Have a look at them in detail first if you decide to get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back