Headphone Recommendations (Already have Argon T60RP)
Jan 26, 2023 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheStayHomeDad

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at a headphone that would be considered the other end of the spectrum of the T60RP.

I'd like to find something that is around $500 or less. I'm also interested in this headphone that would run off my JDS Labs Element 2 but also ordered a Xudoo TA-22 tube amp/dac.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 10
There are so many options... how would you describe your T60RP? Fast, detailed, some bass impact but not the fullest low end?

Some to consider would be the Sennheiser HD600, E-mu Teak or Denon D7200, Meze 99 Classics.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 10
There are so many options... how would you describe your T60RP? Fast, detailed, some bass impact but not the fullest low end?

Some to consider would be the Sennheiser HD600, E-mu Teak or Denon D7200, Meze 99 Classics.

haha, I figured there would be so many options :p

I love the quality build and the natural sound it brings to music and just overall comfort I can wear it all day switching between, videos, music, and meetings.

I think my biggest exploration for something else is just to have a set of cans that are different than these. Not that I'm bored but just want another set that is the opposite of what this brings so I can hear/explore the best of both worlds on the end of the spectrums.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Of the ones I mentioned, the HD600 will grow with whatever setup you have--people keep them around for a long time. They're not just a good reference point, but a good headphone.

The Teak is very fun, v-shaped. The Denon is similar but the mids aren't recessed like the Teak, but they lack sparkle up top.

The Meze 99 is just a silly headphone--it's bass bloated, but very different than what you have now. Not great at detail, but enjoyable still.

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 10
Of the ones I mentioned, the HD600 will grow with whatever setup you have--people keep them around for a long time. They're not just a good reference point, but a good headphone.

The Teak is very fun, v-shaped. The Denon is similar but the mids aren't recessed like the Teak, but they lack sparkle up top.

The Meze 99 is just a silly headphone--it's bass bloated, but very different than what you have now. Not great at detail, but enjoyable still.

So I'm thinking one of these three:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

https://drop.com/buy/emu-wood-series-headphones?defaultSelectionIds=967472

I forgot to mention... I have a pair of the Drop 5XX Jubilees

Feb 2, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #7 of 10

My preference there is the Teak--it's bassy and fun.

The Meze 99 is also bassy, but it's bloated, much less defined.

The 6XX will have the best midrange of the three, least amount of bass of these.

Feb 3, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 10
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 10
I agree with @msing539 with a dash of caution on the meze classics. I was NOT a fan of the meze but I did really enjoy the emu teaks. The biodynamic drivers would be quite different than the current planar drivers you own.

If you were looking for more of the 'different' slightly muddy sound i'd hunt a pair of used audioquest nightowls. They weren't my cup of tea either but I enjoyed the nightowl more than the meze classics.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 10
I agree with @msing539 with a dash of caution on the meze classics. I was NOT a fan of the meze but I did really enjoy the emu teaks. The biodynamic drivers would be quite different than the current planar drivers you own.

If you were looking for more of the 'different' slightly muddy sound i'd hunt a pair of used audioquest nightowls. They weren't my cup of tea either but I enjoyed the nightowl more than the meze classics.
I very much agree with you, the Meze classics got the job done on the bass end but man, they were just absolute mud otherwise. For the cost I couldn't justify keeping them and ended up getting the KBEAR Rosefinch to have on hand when I need to scratch the sub bass itch. For the money, they are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back