Headphone recommendations ~500€
Aug 24, 2017 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DasKobold

New Head-Fier
Hi

So I kinda got tired of my current headphones and I would like to buy something new. I want some new headphones to replace my Beyerdynamic dt 1770. The problem is that I live in Germany, so availability is a problem. People recommended me the Hifiman 400 and 500, but both of them are not available here. Let me list you some headphones I used in the past, dt 770 (250ohm), sennheiser hd598, some akg headphones (no idea which one to be honest).

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 7
What did you think about each of your previous headphones? Also let us know what type of sound you like, so we can suggest some headphones that fit your preferences!

Aug 24, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 7
To be completely honest, I would say that I am a Beyerdynamic fanboy. I fell in love with that brand when I bought the dt 770 back then. And I must say that I like my 1770 too, I would say that they are a improvement over the 770 but I am not 100% satisfied with them. I like the HD598 too, but I honestly haven't touched them again since I bought the 770 pro back then. I don't remember what AKG headphone I tried back then. I was at my friends places and he lend me his headphones. I know that he paid 400€ for them, and I also remember that I hated them. They were in my opinion worse than the hd598 and the dt 770.

And to be honest, I am thinking of buying the T1 or the T5P right now. Yes I know, I said 500€ in the original post, but I looked at the options I have and I think there is no headphone at that range that I would like. I kinda want the t5p, but the amazon page says that it has only 32 Ohm. I am not sure if I want that. I never listen music on my phone, I only ever listen to music at home on my computer so I think the t1 is the better option for me.

Aug 25, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 7
DT 1990 is the improvement over DT 1770 in soundstage and bass response (but also in highs and mids in smaller degree), so that could be an option.
Other option I see would be Audioquest Nighthawk if you'd like warm, relaxed sound.
Not sure if t5p is so big improvement over 1770 to justify its price :/

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 7
To be completely honest, I would say that I am a Beyerdynamic fanboy. I fell in love with that brand when I bought the dt 770 back then. And I must say that I like my 1770 too, I would say that they are a improvement over the 770 but I am not 100% satisfied with them. I like the HD598 too, but I honestly haven't touched them again since I bought the 770 pro back then. I don't remember what AKG headphone I tried back then. I was at my friends places and he lend me his headphones. I know that he paid 400€ for them, and I also remember that I hated them. They were in my opinion worse than the hd598 and the dt 770.

And to be honest, I am thinking of buying the T1 or the T5P right now. Yes I know, I said 500€ in the original post, but I looked at the options I have and I think there is no headphone at that range that I would like. I kinda want the t5p, but the amazon page says that it has only 32 Ohm. I am not sure if I want that. I never listen music on my phone, I only ever listen to music at home on my computer so I think the t1 is the better option for me.
Just because the t5p has low resistance doesn't mean it's not as good as high resistance cans. My 70 ohm LCD2 kick the s*** out of my 300 ohm HD650. Planars are typically just easier to drive. Being 32 ohms doesn't mean it is meant for portable use, nor does it mean it's not suitable for desktop use

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 7
A few people have recommended the 1990, I guess I would have bought it too if they were available back then. But when I bought the 1770 I didn't even knew the 1990 was a thing. After some consideration I would say it's best to wait for September and buy the T1 once I have my paycheck. Because the 1990 doesn't look like a huge upgrade to me. The HD700 look nice, and they are being sold for 483,99€ right now, but a lot of reviews say that the build quality is low.

The problem is that there are no stores near me that let me test those. The only way for me to test those headphones would be to buy them, and then return them within 30 days, but I really don't want to abuse this return system.

My 70 ohm LCD2 kick the s*** out of my 300 ohm HD650. Planars are typically just easier to drive. Being 32 ohms doesn't mean it is meant for portable use, nor does it mean it's not suitable for desktop use

Yeah but in the case of t1 vs t5p they even say themselves that the t1 is for home use and the t5p is the portable version.

kE1SFTj.png

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 7
A few people have recommended the 1990, I guess I would have bought it too if they were available back then. But when I bought the 1770 I didn't even knew the 1990 was a thing. After some consideration I would say it's best to wait for September and buy the T1 once I have my paycheck. Because the 1990 doesn't look like a huge upgrade to me. The HD700 look nice, and they are being sold for 483,99€ right now, but a lot of reviews say that the build quality is low.

The problem is that there are no stores near me that let me test those. The only way for me to test those headphones would be to buy them, and then return them within 30 days, but I really don't want to abuse this return system.

Yeah but in the case of t1 vs t5p they even say themselves that the t1 is for home use and the t5p is the portable version.

kE1SFTj.png
They say it's portable because it's closed back. It all comes down to what design you want. I'm just stating the fact that "portable" isn't any better or worse than "home use"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back