Headphone Recommendations? ~$100
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 20
Thank you all for the responses! I got busy and completely forgot about this thread... Well, I'm back now. I have updated the original post, and upped the max to ~$100 (can go a bit above now), rather than a hard max of $100.

Based on all the comments about microphones built into headphones, I am now planning on getting the mic seperately :)

So... is there a difference in sound quality between open-air and closed headphones? If not, what is the difference?

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 20
open back headphones leak a lot and tend to have larger soundstage (except Grados). Closed back headphones don't leak as much and have smaller soundstages. But rgeyre are a lot of closed headphones with really good soundstages like denons and ultrasones.

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses! I got busy and completely forgot about this thread... Well, I'm back now. I have updated the original post, and upped the max to ~$100 (can go a bit above now), rather than a hard max of $100.

Based on all the comments about microphones built into headphones, I am now planning on getting the mic seperately :)

So... is there a difference in sound quality between open-air and closed headphones? If not, what is the difference?

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 20

Quote:

open air usually has bigger sound stage than closed backs. sound stage gives you the perception like the sound is all around you.
further distance. or sound like your in a big area.

closed back provide better isolation. sound stage usually not as big. but i heard there are some that can sound big.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 20
The Lindy Hi-fi (same as HM5 or FA-003) can be had for $110 shipped and seem to match all criteria. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back