Headphone Recommendation?
Dec 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

omvr

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, before I ask for recommendations, let me give a bit of a back story:

I've been lurking on these threads for a while now, especially |joker|'s posts, looking at his reviews of his vast amount of IEMs. Now, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, but I do love music. I love listening to the tiny details in songs. Ever since I was young, I was always picking about the music quality I wanted to listen to, but never had the money to buy my own equipment that would give me the desired quality I was looking for. I used to purchase lower end IEMs, probably those you could pick up at a Walmart or Best Buy for ~$10-15. I also used to listen to very low quality music. 96 kbps mp3s and the such. Granted, I didn't know any of these terms, as I was 10 and my knowledge on sound terminology was very minimal. I got older and by the time I was 14, I became irritated that music off of YouTube always sounded better than the music I used to download, I turned to the internet and started looking at headphones that would improve the quality of the music I listened to.

I think my very first pair of quality IEMs was the Klipsch S4i's. They made my music sound heavenly. I could hear sounds I had never heard before. But still, my music didn't sound "good." I started doing a bit more research and found that if the quality of my music wasn't of a high enough bitrate, that no matter the headphones, I would never be able to fully enjoy my music. So, being 14 and having quite a bit of money from saving my allowance money, I started buying CDs. I also started buying music off of the iTunes Store, which sounded infinitely better than any of the music I used to have. So, I started investing a lot of my money into music, buying CDs and iTunes music whenever I got some money so I could rebuild my entire music library with good quality music. Eventually, my Klipsch S4i's finally broke and I had to resort to my $10 Sony earbuds that sounded mediocre to my S4i's. Eventually, I decided to make an investment and bought a pair of V-MODA Crossfade LPs. They sounded amazing, I loved the bass, but the clarity of the musician's voice was always kind of lacking. Not only that but they also felt uncomfortable for long listening sessions. Eventually, after about a year or so, these also broke down (due to water damage, whoops). I then took it upon myself to only buy IEMs.

Fast forward to July of this year and I bought some Sennheiser CX 300 IIs. I still have them today and their sound is phenomenal. The highs sound good, lows are punch, and mids are meh at least, to me. I got an iPhone a few weeks ago and started using the Earpods to compare them to the 300 IIs. They sounded dull in comparison. They didn't sound nearly as good. Anyways, I lost my Earpods on a trip to Indianapolis and didn't have my 300 IIs with me and I didn't want to get on the plane back home without music. Also, as I stated earlier, I was only buying IEMs. So at the airport, I went to an electronics store and purchased a pair of headphones. urBeats In-Ear Headphones. Big mistake. Beats has a new policy where I have to return the headphones to them directly but I was too lazy to go through the hassle of having to call customer service and being put on hold and all that nonsense. So now I'm stuck with a not too great IEM and I'm out of $100.

So now, my music collection is still growing. I'm still buying CDs, ripping them to FLAC and ALAC and still buying off of iTunes. I now want to try and invent in a pair of IEMs and over the ear headphones that I will use for years to come.

So here is where I ask for your help...

I listen to everything. Rap, Rock, Hip-Hop, Metal, Pop, Alternative, Synth, Acoustic, Dubstep, Electronic, etc etc. Some classical every now and then, but not too much. I like to listen to my music at home, alone in my room, but I would also like to travel with them outside at around 50-65% on my iPhone. Sound leakage to me isn't a big deal, as I said, I won't be listening to them at such an insane volume.

I'm thinking for the IEMs, I might get another pair of CX 300 II's as I loved the first pair I had, but now they are done for because of water damage (water and I just don't mix). As for the over ear pair, I was looking at the HD 598s. Some people say they would sound slow for Electronic and Dubstep music, but exactly how slow? I really love their design and as I've seen from the reviews here, they are adored by everyone and their soundstage seems to be phenomenal. I was also looking at the Fidelio X1's but I haven't done too much research on them.

So, what do you guys recommend? For the IEMs, I'm not looking to spend more than $100 and I am really really leaning towards the CX 300 II's, unless you guys could recommend a pair that has the same sound signature, but with better detail, I guess? If you guys could recommend a better pair than the CX 300 II's, please do! As far as the over ear pair goes, I, again, am leaning towards the HD 598s, but if you could recommend a pair that is better suited for the music I listen to, that would also be great! Anyways, sorry for such the long post, but I felt that maybe it was necessary.

Thanks for everything in advance!

- Omar 

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Omar, welcome onboard.  I hope you can keep a firm grasp on your wallet.

I can't help on the IEMs.  Most of my listening is classical and this led
me to Etymotic.  But pretty certain this would not be tops for the spectrum
of music you most listen to.

I think the HD 598 is a lovely choice and I predict you'll enjoy them for 
years to come.  Also comfortable!  

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 5
For IEM's, I'd recommend the Fidue A71's. Currently available on Amazon for $79. Amazing value for the sound. Will suit all your music.

Fidelio X1's are very good but I'd suggest going for the X2 since retail prices are close to each other. Might want to check the FS forums here since I've seen the 598 and the X1 for good prices. The Fidelio L1's are nice too and are cheaper these days. Build is top notch on the Philips.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 5
For IEM's, I'd recommend the Fidue A71's. Currently available on Amazon for $79. Amazing value for the sound. Will suit all your music.

Fidelio X1's are very good but I'd suggest going for the X2 since retail prices are close to each other. Might want to check the FS forums here since I've seen the 598 and the X1 for good prices. The Fidelio L1's are nice too and are cheaper these days. Build is top notch on the Philips.

I'd love to hear the Fidelios at some point.  Nice visual design and have read good things about the X2.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 5

I'd love to hear the Fidelios at some point.  Nice visual design and have read good things about the X2.

I actually haven't heard the X2 but loved the X1.  I currently have the L2 and it's an improvement over the L1.  The X line is some of the best looking/built headphones I've come across.  I will have the X2 at some point but doing my best to not spend the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back